Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I want to thank everyone on this forum for their input in trying to help me get my interior center and shifter bezel painted.

I went from doing it myself (the shifter bezel), to really screwing it up and it looking like crap (sorry, no pics :D ) to finding a local paint shop that would paint it for me. He said he would have charged me $55-$60 to paint them if I had brought them to him as they are stock. I had really jacked up my shifter bezel so he had to get that old paint off and repaint it. I paid him to do it because I did not trust myself to do it any longer. LOL He charged me $30 for the labor on prep for the shifter bezel, not too bad considering how bad it looked.

And get this, they actually had a pint of Brillian Black (the new black) so I was able to get it painted to match the exterior (WOOHOO!!!), which is what I wanted from the beginning. I recommend that you guys get them painted by an experienced painter, it makes the Krylon job look like crap.

So here they are, the promised pics...I wish I had a better camera: :wow:

First a new pic of the exterior (with new 14" shorty antenna):

Here is a close up of the antenna (bought off ebay):

And here are several pics of the custom painted bezels:

And a close up of the shifter bezel:

And my newly installed Bright Pedals:

I am going to try and get a better camera and take some nice shots to upload to the Member Gallery as soon as possible.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Nice look. I like it.

I found a scratch or 2 on mine, the factory silver/gray. I think I found an alternative as to cover that when it gets worse, because I know its going to some how. I don't even know how it got scratched.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice look. I like it.

I found a scratch or 2 on mine, the factory silver/gray. I think I found an alternative as to cover that when it gets worse, because I know its going to some how. I don't even know how it got scratched.
The only downside to black (as I can tell so far) is it shows dust....BAD. So I have to keep it wiped down to keep it looking good.

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
Your Caliber is looking real sweet, keep up the good work!!

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
That is a fantastic spray job :worshippy:, and looks like it was done in the
factory, and its great you added photos so quick because we can see
our good it looks.. now shall I do mine..;)
a picture speaks louder than words...

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
and i forgot to say, thats a better photo of your caliber, i love the chrome rims..
nice...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your Caliber is looking real sweet, keep up the good work!!
That is a fantastic spray job :worshippy:, and looks like it was done in the
factory, and its great you added photo's so quick because we can see
our good it looks.. now shall i do mine..;)
a picture speaks loader than words...
Thanks Brendy. I'm telling ya, the pics here don't do it justice. I took these with camera phone. :loser1: LOL

I will get more up as soon as I have access to a good camera.

Go for it, you will love it!

·
Dodge Caliber Forums
1,295 Posts
This is a great write up! I want to commend you on your honesty with the result you had using the rattle can method. I know there are quite a few people that find rattle cans and especially the Krylon Fusion to be a great product, but knowing paint the way I do; it really isnt for this kind of stuff. Even if you would have got a good result, I can almost guarantee that the finish would not have been so good within a short period of time.

I hope others who are thinking of doing this to their bezels really listen to what you said in your post. Keep in mind that my car came with silver bezels and for a whole $63 incl shipping, I got the factory inferno red ones. In your case having a black car, you cannot get them from mopar to match so taking it to an automotive painter was the best decision you made...Look at the results...your bezels look fantastic as though it came from the factory that way!! There is not a single rattle can out there that will get that result!! REP FOR YOU :D

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Wickster, i can't agree with you more, the paint finish looks fantastic..:wow:
Goticov, yes take some more photo's of your Caliber and get them in the gallery..:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is a great write up! I want to commend you on your honesty with the result you had using the rattle can method. I know there are quite a few people that find rattle cans and especially the Krylon Fusion to be a great product, but knowing paint the way I do; it really isnt for this kind of stuff. Even if you would have got a good result, I can almost guarantee that the finish would not have been so good within a short period of time.

I hope others who are thinking of doing this to their bezels really listen to what you said in your post. Keep in mind that my car came with silver bezels and for a whole $63 incl shipping, I got the factory inferno red ones. In your case having a black car, you cannot get them from mopar to match so taking it to an automotive painter was the best decision you made...Look at the results...your bezels look fantastic as though it came from the factory that way!! There is not a single rattle can out there that will get that result!! REP FOR YOU :D
I agree 100% wickster! There is no way a rattle can would make them look as good as they do. When I spoke to the dude that painted mine, he said he gets this ALL THE TIME. Where people try and do it themselves with a rattle can, it looks like crap and then end up bringing it to him to fix it...which typically cost more money because the has to strip all the other paint off.

I am certainly no paint expert but he said there are many reasons why you don't really want to use Krylon on this type of stuff. He said if you are painting lawn furniture, that is one thing but the interior needs to look factory to look good (and mine does). He said Krylon tends to want to bond to certain parts of the piece but typically does not bond to all of it....which causes problems down the road.

So hopefully when people talk about painting their bezels, they will do a search and find my results and think twice about doing it themselves. It doesn't cost much at all to take it to someone that knows what they are doing. :D

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Pics

That is one fantasic job!!I'm going to be looking at my Bezels in a strange way now,wondering------Ummmm Should I ?????:worshippy::worshippy:

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Paint job looks great. In dash system looks factory made. Taking it to a professional painter makes sense. I painted my aftermarket trim myself with a can of factory paint, what a hassle even for a small piece. Btw, what brand of antenna did you get.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts