Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with a noise that's causing me some concern. I have an '07 Caliber SE, manual transmission, 1.8L. The noise started when I replaced the alternator. I originally replaced the alternator due to the decoupler pulley, but the alternator itself also needed to be replaced. The noise is a high pitched whine, not like the turbo noise I have read about, and only occurs when the vehicle is in gear and I accelerate. First and second gear are faint, but the faster I go the louder it gets; there is no pitch change. When going 70+ it sounds like I'm going to murder my vehicle and there is a "humming" feeling in my pedals and steering wheel. If I push in the clutch a toe's length while still pushing in the gas pedal the noise stays. There is no reaction when I downshift or idle. This issue only happens when I push in the gas pedal and in gear. Has anyone had this problem or have an idea of what the issue may be? Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have exact same issue, were u able to find a solution to it, this has been going on for at least 2 years, and the noise is driving me nuts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Could be a wheel bearing, transmission, brake rotor/pad, or any number of other things. This kind of noise can be difficult to diagnose, but check the wheel bearings and brakes first.

·
Registered
654 Posts
If (like the OP) this noise didn't start until you replaced the alternator then the alternator is likely the culprit. Remanufactured alternators are notoriously problematic and you can go through a few brand new ones before finding one that actually works. Given how difficult it is to change them on a Caliber, buy a brand new name brand alternator (Denso makes one I believe...IIRC Mitsubishi was the OEM supplier) with the decoupling pulley already installed and call it a day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts