Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright HID's are on my priority list before tax time. With tax money its rims and tint.

Does anyone run 55w HID's in stock headlight housings? I plan to go with 55w 7K if it wont burn up the housing. If not Ill go with 35W 6K.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Alright HID's are on my priority list before tax time. With tax money its rims and tint.

Does anyone run 55w HID's in stock headlight housings? I plan to go with 55w 7K if it wont burn up the housing. If not Ill go with 35W 6K.
AAC has both the 35W and 50W. Contact them. They are very helpful, and we get discounts because they are a supporting vendor.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
DDM Tuning has them for $80 shipped. Comes with the module to prevent the headlights from shutting off, harness, ballast, life time warranty on all of it.

Any idea on discounts from AAC?

PM has been dispatched to [email protected]

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
DDM Tuning has them for $80 shipped. Comes with the module to prevent the headlights from shutting off, harness, ballast, life time warranty on all of it.

Any idea on discounts from AAC?

PM has been dispatched to [email protected]
Don't know, but you know the old saying "You gets what you pay for."

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know, but you know the old saying "You gets what you pay for."
DDM Tuning sponsors ClubGP and everyone there that has a kit hasnt had an issue with them. They are quality HID kits.

My issue is the ballast temperature. I know a few guys at ClubGP that went with a 55w 808 bulb in the fog lights and it melted the housings on them. I just wanted to play it safe here. Although I doubt it will melt considering these headlights have a pretty large gap between the ballast and the actual cover.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
There should be a couple members here that put the HIDs in that can answer that. Just be patient. Just checked, and XXX has HIDs. He's a regular and very helpful.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
yes I have HIDS they are 35 watt 10k , it produces a blue color . Honestly my kit is hella bright and wouldn't I don't see a need for 55 watts .

The housing is fine, I had them for about 2 years now with no problems

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Reactions: Prop1

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes I have HIDS they are 35 watt 10k , it produces a blue color . Honestly my kit is hella bright and wouldn't I don't see a need for 55 watts .

The housing is fine, I had them for about 2 years now with no problems
How is the light output on the higher K HID's?

I wanted to do all white, but I sort of like the tint of blue.

I wanted to go with the 55W since they are the same price as the 35W, but brighter. If I go with an 8K 55W, it will be bright enough to wash the blue out and appear all white with 40% more output.

I know the 35W wont hurt the headlight housings, but I was concerned about the 55W melting them.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
How is the light output on the higher K HID's?

I wanted to do all white, but I sort of like the tint of blue.

I wanted to go with the 55W since they are the same price as the 35W, but brighter. If I go with an 8K 55W, it will be bright enough to wash the blue out and appear all white with 40% more output.

I know the 35W wont hurt the headlight housings, but I was concerned about the 55W melting them.
The higher the K the lower the input but the more intense of the color but it still lights up the road no problem.

Ok I did some searching around and the plastic housing will melt , Now if it was glass that would be a different story.

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
I'd stick with the 35 watt, just to be safe. The higher the Kelvin, beyond a certain point, puts out less light. I wouldn't go over 6000K, that would start getting into the purple range. 3000k is considerd a "warm white" while 4100k is what is considered cool white. Above those numbers start to move into the light blue range, so 5-6k might be what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
6000 i find gives a nice hint of blue, but alot of white, 8000 is to blue

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
10,000k is where its at ! I love it soo much never regretted it once and never had a problem with the police

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The higher the K the lower the input but the more intense of the color but it still lights up the road no problem.

Ok I did some searching around and the plastic housing will melt , Now if it was glass that would be a different story.
That was my concern. So 6K 35W it is.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Can't wait to see it! I actually took off my bumper to do the install! it made life easier
Im going with the slim ballast kit so I can virtually stick them anywhere I want them to.

I may go with 5K so its a pure white light.

These are the images Im going off:

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Im going with the slim ballast kit so I can virtually stick them anywhere I want them to.

I may go with 5K so its a pure white light.

These are the images Im going off:

Im was talking about just to take the bulb out was a pain for me and my fat hands

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh. Ill probably take out the entire housing and install that way. I think Im going to try to find some sort of waterproof container and and mount them in that and then secure them to the car.

They are already supposed to be waterproof, but in Michigan you never know. I may grab some small tuperware bowls with lids and screw out a hole for the harness and put a grommet in there to keep the water out with the top on. And then use industrial velcro to secure it in the car.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sounds good and keep us updated with pics for future members
Any pics of where you mounted your ballasts?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts