Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I took my 08 to the shop to have it looked at.. Everytime i would start to brake it would make a loud weird sound (hard to explain) Only happens when I brake.. Took it to shop and they said the Struts were bad (the passenger side) strut was full of grease/oil and he said that was the problem..

It will cost close to 1000 for them to be replaced including labor..

My dad is good with this stuff and i want to know if you think He would be able to do it himself with some help...

And if so where is best spot i cant get a complete strut kit Online....(preferbly one with spring on it where it can just be put on and ready to go)

THANKS

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Shouldn't a 2008 be covered under the 3 / 36K Warranty? (unless you are over 36K miles of course)
If it is out of warranty, shop around a bit - NEVER use a dealer for anything you, yourself or an independent shop can do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its almost 50,000 miles.. Bought it used from ENTERPRISE.. Did not get any extended Warranty.. Go figure lol.. know a good site?

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Its almost 50,000 miles.. Bought it used from ENTERPRISE.. Did not get any extended Warranty.. Go figure lol.. know a good site?
Tire Rack shows the struts (KYB) for $71.00 each, but on back order at the moment.
I don't know of any struts that come with springs pre-installed.

The $1000.00 that was quoted to you seems high. I'm thinking about $500.00 or so is more reasonable.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Any auto parts stores will have them, and a lot cheaper than the dealer.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
There is also a site called "Parts geek" tha has the KYB's in stock for about $74.00.
From what I understand (someone chime in if I'm wrong) KYB struts are pretty high-end, high quality units.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi all, Ya KYB's are very good replacement struts. I know here in Canada Monroe make struts called "Quick Struts" They come already with the spring, mounts and everything put together. I put them in at work all the time there great. I would say there good quality too, never had any problems with them. Old one out, new one in, dont have to take them apart. Maybe a little pricey because your buying everything.

Hopes this helps.
C-YA!

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Hi all, Ya KYB's are very good replacement struts. I know here in Canada Monroe make struts called "Quick Struts" They come already with the spring, mounts and everything put together. I put them in at work all the time there great. I would say there good quality too, never had any problems with them. Old one out, new one in, dont have to take them apart. Maybe a little pricey because your buying everything.

Hopes this helps.
C-YA!
When I checked Monroe (first name that came to my mind), the Caliber was not listed in the Dodge choices, neither were Compass or Patriot in the jeep choices.
But then again, pro's sometimes get better access to parts than the public.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
are they hard to put on?
I suggest you download a copy of the service manual and read section 2. All the info is there. What's easy for one person could be very difficult for another person. There's a link to the download at the top of this forum section.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tire Rack shows the struts (KYB) for $71.00 each, but on back order at the moment.
I don't know of any struts that come with springs pre-installed.

The $1000.00 that was quoted to you seems high. I'm thinking about $500.00 or so is more reasonable.
The ones that come from KYB do NOT have the springs. You have to build them up yourself. My buddy just put new front and rear struts on my 07 R/T last night. First, it took forever to get them from justsuspension.com or whoever, all four came over the span of four weeks. You need to disassemble the ones on the car. You really need a dedicated press like my buddy bought, otherwise a lot of sore knuckles and headaches. Took him two hours to do whole car, longest part was putting trim back in place in rear.

TimO

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
The ones that come from KYB do NOT have the springs. You have to build them up yourself. My buddy just put new front and rear struts on my 07 R/T last night. First, it took forever to get them from justsuspension.com or whoever, all four came over the span of four weeks. You need to disassemble the ones on the car. You really need a dedicated press like my buddy bought, otherwise a lot of sore knuckles and headaches. Took him two hours to do whole car, longest part was putting trim back in place in rear.

TimO
Yes - I know. DIY'ed the fronts with a guy who owns a shop and appropriate tools.
Most important thing - wheel alignment after the R&R job.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I'm a Diesel Truck Tech, so yes and no lol. It's been almost a year since I've had to do struts now and I only just made time on them before! Most of the work I do is Electrical/engine Diagosis in nature anyways.

But I'll admit, having a full tool set helps things immensly.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
It's not that difficult of a job. I've replaced struts on several vehicles over the years. From older Mopars to Geo's. You have to have a strut spring compressor no matter what you're working on. You can rent these from either Autozone or Advance. Put a deposit on it, use it, take it back and get your deposit back. It's a loan a tool program. If you don't return it, you bought it. And like Dave K stated, no matter who does it, you'll need to have the front end alignment checked after the job is done. I recently replaced the front struts on my 99 Dodge Grand Caravan. It took me about three hours, but I'm disabled and have a problem squatting and kneeling for very long. So if your Dad is in pretty good shape, he can do the job for you and save you a lot of money. My replacements were about a hundred and ten bucks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts