Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so fans won’t come on even with ac on. I’ve replaced both thermostats, water pump, temp sensor, intake temp sensor and fan relays. The reservoir gurgles after a while of running. She doesn’t over heat on the dash tho and no check engine light. I’m at the point of not knowing what else it could be please help and I’m not leaking water anywhere

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think the fans only come on at 220F. I had mine reprogrammed to come on at 180F.

That said, they should come on when you turn on the AC regardless of coolant temp.

The gurgling sound is not good.

Are you losing coolant?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the fans only come on at 220F. I had mine reprogrammed to come on at 180F.

That said, they should come on when you turn on the AC regardless of coolant temp.

The gurgling sound is not good.

Are you losing coolant?
I’m not loosing coolant visually but it’s going somewhere because it requires me to top it off every couple days. I agree with the ac should turn them on regardless but they’re not that’s why I’m totally confused and lost

·
Registered
52 Posts
The most likely cause is that you are pushing coolant out of the overflow tank due to increased pressure in the cooling system.

This could be because you have a head gasket leak. You can confirm this either with a cooling system pressure test (just buy a tester on Amazon), or with a combustion gas detect kit like this: Amazon.com: Block Tester BT-500 Combustion Leak Test Kit - Made in USA: Automotive

This could also be because you are in fact overheating and boiling the coolant in the block in places where the cooling system is not measuring the temperature, such as in the coolant return tube that feeds the water pump (this tube is located on the back of the engine about 1" below the exhaust manifold) or you are getting water pump cavitation from the older style water pump. The regular coolant adapter can also contribute to this (the Caliber SRT-4 coolant adapter is much better).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The most likely cause is that you are pushing coolant out of the overflow tank due to increased pressure in the cooling system.

This could be because you have a head gasket leak. You can confirm this either with a cooling system pressure test (just buy a tester on Amazon), or with a combustion gas detect kit like this: Amazon.com: Block Tester BT-500 Combustion Leak Test Kit - Made in USA: Automotive

This could also be because you are in fact overheating and boiling the coolant in the block in places where the cooling system is not measuring the temperature, such as in the coolant return tube that feeds the water pump (this tube is located on the back of the engine about 1" below the exhaust manifold) or you are getting water pump cavitation from the older style water pump. The regular coolant adapter can also contribute to this (the Caliber SRT-4 coolant adapter is much better).
But would that explain why the fans won’t come on? Cause that’s the problem I’m initially trying to solve

·
Registered
52 Posts
But would that explain why the fans won’t come on? Cause that’s the problem I’m initially trying to solve
None of what I said would explain why the fans are not coming on, my comments were directed toward the issue of coolant loss.

As for the fans not coming on, the next thing to test is if, when you turn on the AC, are the relays getting power? If yes, then the issue is between the relays and the fans. If not, then the issue is between the relays and the switch and/or computer.

I'd consider taking it to a dealer to have them diagnose the issue.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Attached are two pages of the 2007 shop manual...one explains the function of the radiator fans, the other is the diagram of the relay box that contains the relays for the cooling fans. These relays are NOT in the TIPM...they're in a small box behind the driver's side headlight. It's accessed by removing the front left tire and wheel liner. This box is notorious for developing corrosion and the relay legs rotting out.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts