Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure this is the outside temperature sensor? Why would they place it under the hood? How does it take an accurate reading? The engine produces heat.

·
Z ADDICT
3,211 Posts
I just checked the parts manual and that is the only temperature sensor that measures the ambient air temperature. Maybe its shielded so the engine heat does not effect it. Next time I change my oil I look for it.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Are you sure this is the outside temperature sensor? Why would they place it under the hood? How does it take an accurate reading? The engine produces heat.
It's located in front of the radiator so it is up wind of the heat. If you notice, all temperature sensors creep up on cars when they're not moving. This is the general location of all of them, and produces the most accurate reading while you are moving. Anywhere else and either the heat from the road, or the engine would effect it's accuracy.

Reactions: cmpmacchia

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Do you think that the engineers that built the car just said "OK lets throw an ambient temp sensor in this car" and didnt take ANYTHING into account like putting it close to something that gets HOT? I know people make mistakes but putting a temp sensor for outside air next to something HOT would get a WHOLE department FIRED!

·
Registered
51 Posts
funny story: I just bought one of those cheap little thermometers for another car, and the instructions said to put the temp sensor on inside of the front bumper... no joke!!! prop1 was right about how most all automakers put them there... i didn't put mine there to begin with (i stuck it on the underside of the drivers door cuz that was easy) and it never was right, but i moved it up front and its practically dead on now... sounds ridiculous, but its true!!

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
funny story: I just bought one of those cheap little thermometers for another car, and the instructions said to put the temp sensor on inside of the front bumper... no joke!!! prop1 was right about how most all automakers put them there... i didn't put mine there to begin with (i stuck it on the underside of the drivers door cuz that was easy) and it never was right, but i moved it up front and its practically dead on now... sounds ridiculous, but its true!!
You discovered what I discovered. On another car I bought one of those after market therms. The instruction said to mount it up front, but I experimented first. The roof was no good, as well as in the wheel well, the back of the car, near the antenna, and under the car. I finally mounted to the grille area. Everywhere else it was 10-15F degrees high.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes believe it or not engineers make mistakes too, lots of them! Why do you think car manufacturers put out things called recalls and TSB’s. I love the car but its far from perfect!
I have an engineer at work that screws up now and again and he still has his job.:eek:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No actually you should expand a little, this is what you actually quoted! “I know people make mistakes but putting a temp sensor for outside air next to something HOT would get a WHOLE department FIRED!”
I’m saying the engineers do and have made mistakes on our vehicles which didn’t result in a job loss, that’s why we have recalls. How many departments do you suppose got fired for the filler neck on the caliber being loose for example or wrong cvt transmission software. Probably none.
Thank you for the info on the location of the temperature sensor. I still find the location of it odd.
Heres another one of your quotes!
“ You try to help and you have to explain why Dodge engineers did something.”
I can question and will continue to do so. I encourage the rest of this forum to do so as well. That’s what its here for.
Let me know if I can help and I’ll try my best to answer all questions regarding calibers you may have.
:shrk:

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
cmpmacchia- what you should be looking at in all this is that all car makers put the temp sensor on the front of the car, and as I posted, I tried other locations with no luck. Under the car it picks up heat from the road and engine. On the top side of the car, the sun and heat of the baking car would throw it off. Putting it behind the grille in front of the radiator is the best place. There's no direct sun light, and with the air passing over it, it never is subject to stagnant air that would throw it off. It's never going to be accurate when you're just sitting, but it would be bad all the time if in another location.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
OK then I should have said if they put it next to something hot they SHOULD be fired cause that would be STUPID.

As for these "filler neck on the caliber being loose for example or wrong cvt transmission software." Filler neck being loose has nothing to do with engineers it is some DOPE on the line not paying attention (AND SHOUL D ALSO BE reprimanded) and I don't remember a WRONG CVT software? Are you talking about the "update" or did someone program a lot of CVT's with the software they werent supposed to? Got me confused on these ones.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree they “should” be fired.
Your correct, I think it was a CVT software update. (See TSB‘s and there’s lots of them!)
You’ll find one for the loose fuel neck as well.
Don’t get me wrong I still love my wife’s caliber. I suppose all new vehicles (first year out) have glitches to iron out.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Understood, thanks prop1.
I was just responding to dcjredline,s lack of patience.
OK then I should have said if they put it next to something hot they SHOULD be fired cause that would be STUPID.

As for these "filler neck on the caliber being loose for example or wrong cvt transmission software." Filler neck being loose has nothing to do with engineers it is some DOPE on the line not paying attention (AND SHOUL D ALSO BE reprimanded) and I don't remember a WRONG CVT software? Are you talking about the "update" or did someone program a lot of CVT's with the software they werent supposed to? Got me confused on these ones.
Both of you are describing what it is to be human. Nothing and nobody is perfect. So let's all agree the imperfections are what make life interesting. Now let's move on to another topic, and boy are there many!:p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts