1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Alternator is probably the source,first they are noisey then they fail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so i missed.giving y'all some details.

88k miles
Does it hot or cold
Some times it won't.
Dosnt flow with revs. Gets loader hut is off beat. No faster.
Been having a high pitch wine when taking off and rolling.
Started about a month ago but getting worse.
Also when slowing down the car stays reved up to 1200 rpm till under 7mph.

Will record another video on the way home today.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Hard to tell just from the video, but I think it's the alternator bearing giving up the ghost on you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's the alternator. Exact same thing happened on my girlfriends car not more than two weeks ago. They have some bad bearings in them and you can have it rebuilt for around $80 if you have the time. If not the part can run you almost $400. I'll find the other thread that identifies the same problem.

Oh, side note - /rant This is my first post and I'd like to formally complain about the registration process. Not a single required field is marked and it drives me insane.
/offrant

(found it) http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=28238

Edit: This may also be the case http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=30741

·
Registered
8 Posts
sound in dodge caliber

hello chvybeatsford I have the same problem. So in your case was the alternator? Please let me know. Thanks

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
hello chvybeatsford I have the same problem. So in your case was the alternator? Please let me know. Thanks
He hasn't been around for a couple years. So I'll answer your question, since it's been posted about the same noise on several threads; It's the alternator. As the decoupling pulley starts wearing out it makes that noise and eventually the alternator no longer generates power as a result.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Exactly!

This is EXACTLY the sound my car has been making. I wish I had found this forum sooner! I've let it go so long that my battery light has come on and my car could die any second (I'm told). I'm having a Certified Dodge mechanic look at it tonight (I'm lucky enough to know one) and hopefully he'll be able to get the parts soon. Thanks for the help and insight so I can bring my car in armed with information. I trust this guy, but it's good to know if someone is trying to take advantage of you.:smileup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts