Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all you Caliber owners.
This evening I did something really stupid. My son and I had to move my daughter's dead oldsmobile up our driveway, it was pure dead weight. We had to move it to a side yard. I didn't hesitate to use my Caliber to push the oldsmobile up the hill that our driveway is on. It reved up quite a bit but I was able to push the olds about 60 feet. Unfortunately while doing it I reved my car a little too much and it began to really smell like something was burning. No fire or anything but I stopped and parked it. Is there a chance I may have burned out my clutch? I was pulling up my ebrake and clutching it while giving it gas then the smell happened? Was this a really bad thing?

·
Super Moderator
12,161 Posts
Welcome. Not the smartest I guess.
A manual clutch will smell when pushed hard and overheated. You would know if the clutch plate had failed, you may have shortened it's service life though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Aleks. Appreciate your input. I've never done anything like this to the car before. Yes, I really did push it but not as much as I felt I could so perhaps I'll get lucky and all will be fine.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Maybe it was a front tire spinning too. Best not to use a small car to push a big one.

·
Administrator
6,498 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :Hey: Hope its not the clutch!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
hope all is well....it sounds like the clutch...i think it would be pretty obvious if it was a tire spinning...but thats just me...good luck and welcome

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
:wavey: Welcome to the ForumZ. Glad you joined us.
Hope all is well with your Caliber. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Welcome to our Caliber family. Like Aleks said, you just burnt some disk off your clutch. It should be ok. Do a hard fast shift under full power, if the clutch dosen't slip when you shift to the next gear, you didn't hurt it.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
I agree with David. You may have scorched the clutch disc and flywheel some, but it's doubtful that you'll have any problems with it. The stink will fade away.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Hello all you Caliber owners.
This evening I did something really stupid. My son and I had to move my daughter's dead oldsmobile up our driveway, it was pure dead weight. We had to move it to a side yard. I didn't hesitate to use my Caliber to push the oldsmobile up the hill that our driveway is on. It reved up quite a bit but I was able to push the olds about 60 feet. Unfortunately while doing it I reved my car a little too much and it began to really smell like something was burning. No fire or anything but I stopped and parked it. Is there a chance I may have burned out my clutch? I was pulling up my ebrake and clutching it while giving it gas then the smell happened? Was this a really bad thing?
You have without a doubt, by pushing the other car, compromised the integrity of the Caliber's bumper. Behind the plastic cover is special energy absorbing material that becomes compromised when subjected to what you did. You should never push another car with these type bumpers. Use of a tow strap is the only acceptable way of moving another car.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Scorched Clutches dont only smell of burning-----They have a terrible STINK!!---Did you get a very bad PONG!! as well as burning ?? If so yea -you were frying your clutch..!!!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Is there a chance I may have burned out my clutch? I was pulling up my ebrake and clutching it while giving it gas then the smell happened? Was this a really bad thing?
this part loses me pulling up on the e-brake?

·
Super Moderator
12,161 Posts
this part loses me pulling up on the e-brake?
Believe the drive was up hill so using the e-(hand) brake as in a hill start would have helped rather than just riding the clutch on it's own.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts