Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent hours looking through the 6000 page manual, watching videos and looking through forums, and no clear answers.

I've replaced the cylinder head on my 07 dodge caliber sxt 2.0.

I installed the camshafts while cylinder 1 (hopefully) was at TDC.

Steps 1-36 in timing chain removal only say to set to TDC, but the 3rd step(technically MY 1st step, since I did not remove the oil pump chain or the crankshaft sprocket) says "Verify the crankshaft sprocket key is in the 9 o'clock position"
What.
The sprocket key cannot be in the 9 o'clock position if at TDC?

Do I turn the crankshaft to put the sprocket key in the 9 o'clock position?

Or do I take off the sprocket while at TDC, then put the sprocket back on, but in the 9 o'clock position? That way it's at TDC AND 9 o'clock? I'm probably guessing not, but I don't know.

I desperately need help. I'm currently sitting in front of my car trying to figure this out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Any progress on this? I might be tearing down one of these engines next year, so I'd like to see how this issue was resolved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, yes. As far as I know I figured it out.
The first cylinder needs to be at TDC while the crankshaft sprocket key is in the 9 o'clock position. To make sure cylinder 1 was at TDC, I put something long and thin into the spark plug hole and verified that it was at the highest point, while making sure the crankshaft sprocket key was @ 9 o'clock. THEN you align your inner camshaft marks to be parallel with the cylinder head, and bolt them down(careful though, they like to. Move while being tightened)
Then you align the timing marks on the chain itself (they'll be a different color) with the outer timing marks on the camshafts and the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket. Install guide rails, verify timing is still lined up, then install tensioner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts