Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This week i had a headlight go out and a sidelight go out.
So today i went down to my local motor store to purchase the new bulbs.
Got back home and started the process of getting ready to start the work on the car.

I had done my homework on here and youtube about what was the easiest way to change the bulbs.

Information i got on caliberforumz.

1.Take front wheels off and strip out inner wheel arch cover to gain access to the headlight unit.

Tried that and low and behold only access it gives you is to the sidelights.

Other option that i figured out myself and alot faster.

2.Remove front bumper to gain easy access to headlight unit and remove 3 bolts to release headlight unit.

The headlights now have new 90% brighter ice white with blue tinge.
The side lights now have new arctic blue.

Will upload the pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What the heck?

I have a burned out front bulb and a new one to replace it. Do I really have to remove the front bumper to change a burned out pax-side front light bulb?

I read the SM instruction "...to loosen up the front of the splash shield, but don’t fully removeit." When I tried to imagine what doing that would accomplish, I figured out that I not be able to get my ham-fist in place to grasp the rear of the lamp housing. I'm glad I didn't try. On the other hand, droping the bumper looks like a way bigger job than loosening up the front of the splash shield.

Am I missing something?

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
Loosen the splash shield is easy. Bolt & couple of pins.

If you cannot grasp it that way or from the top then removing the bumper gives full access.
It's only plastic trim so not as big a job as you may imagine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Loosen the splash shield is easy. Bolt & couple of pins.

If you cannot grasp it that way or from the top then removing the bumper gives full access.
It's only plastic trim so not as big a job as you may imagine.
I think you are telling me to remove the front bumper fascia.

The Service Manual says:

1. Remove splash shield. (Refer to 23 - BODY/EXTERIOR/
LF WHEELHOUSE SPLASH SHIELD -
REMOVAL)
2. Remove left and right side fastener (1) located in
the wheel well.
3. Remove three fasteners (2) located at the bottom
of fascia.
4. Remove middle fasteners (8) located on the top of
the fascia.
5. If equipped, disconnect fog lamps (1).
6. Remove two fasteners located at the top of fascia
(7).
7. Carefully, remove fascia from vehicle

The Service Manual says remove Wheelhouse splash guard before removing the bumper fascia. When I do that, I still cannot reach in to turn and remove the burned out bulb.

I have removed three bolts to the headlight assembly hoping to loosen it and pull it out so I can change the bulb. The assembly is loose, but not loose enough to release so I can reach the bulb. It seems to be bound or connected to something at its upper outside corner inside the forward part of the right fender.

I have looked for removal diagrams in the SM (nothing useful) and elsewhere online (ditto).

Perople change headlight assemblies all the time so this assembly loosening problem should documented and illustrated somewhere, I think.

Any ideas about loosening the headlight assembly or going about it in a different way?

I just watched the following You-Tube Video. It answered most of my questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjyy5YLM-OQ

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
Any ideas about loosening the headlight assembly or going about it in a different way?

I just watched the following You-Tube Video. It answered most of my questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjyy5YLM-OQ
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
Agree. This is how to change bulbs, holders, or assemblies.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjyy5YLM-OQ

However people have reached it at least on one side before, check comments

skovol007 3 months ago

Yes. You can reach around back and twist the headlight bulb out. I can replace mine in just a couple of minutes. Unfortunately, you do have to take the whole assembly out if you need to replace the signal bulb.

·
Registered
174 Posts
One thing not mentioned in the video (but must have been done) was to push a hold-in clip at the rear corner of the headlight assembly from the inside of the wheelhouse. I could not get the assembly out until I noticed that clip (hard to describe, had not seen anything like it before) and poked it hard to disengage.

I reached the pax headlight assembly by removing the pax wheelhouse splash guard and bumper fascia only on the pax side.

Everything that could have gone wrong did. Three different kinds of push pins, three different kinds of screw fasteners under the fascia, etc. etc. No 10 minute job for me. The SM instructions for changing a bulb are poor at best. The video did the trick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts