Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gonna sound real noobish

so i want to get these type headlights. not specificly this brand just showing a picture..

now my question is the actuall lighting from the headlights (to see the road at night) that comes from a stock bulb?

or do the halos themselves light the way? I imagine the stock bulbs do.

so, i will still get the same dull lighting that i have now with the fancy halo rings?

do i need to get a HID bulbs AND a conversion kit (ballests) to have the bright lights?

AACstyles halos are only the Halo and ballest for them alone (right?) and they will replace the ones included with the headlights ill purchase?

whats so different from their basic halos and AAC's halos? (the CCFL not the LED)

basicly im trying to figure out the total cost of getting new headlights and im not exactly sure what i need...

a $120 pair of headlights is looking to be alot more expensive then i imagined if i need to buy all these extra parts...

headlight houseing - $120
AAC's halos - $219 for LED or $199 for CCFL
+$10 to change the halo to red
Oracle HID kit (bulbs, ballest, and wireing) $279

so all in all i spend about $600- $650 not including any shipping if any..

Do i have this right?

also when you have the running lights on is it the halos and the stupid amber bulb? can i get rid of the amber bulb?'

Sorry for all the questions i just dont want any surprise costs when i get new lights...

·
Super Moderator
12,164 Posts
Too many questions.

Halos are a cosmetic fashion item, also act as a DRL in that they are bright oncoming so people know you are there. They do not help you see.

HID requires a ballast. Cheaper option is upgraded halogen/xenon.

Amber bulb can be replaced with a Chrome bulb that shines yellow but is invisible (in a chrome housing) when off. Not entirely successful in a stock headlighht due to the adjacent yellow reflector, but nice in an upgrade like your pic.

·
Super Moderator
12,164 Posts
That housing example will have LEDs and Halo rings included in the price and fitted.

HIDs will always be extra.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I have a question - How many of these lighting mod's are street legal?

·
Super Moderator
12,164 Posts
That housing example will have LEDs and Halo rings included in the price and fitted.

HIDs will always be extra.
Unless they are !!

http://www.ilovebodykits.com/produc...Halo_LED_Projector_HID_Head_Lights_Black.html

$358 all in for everyting sounds good

I have a question - How many of these lighting mod's are street legal?
Design wise all of them. I was thinking black reflectors maybe not, but the reflector is built into the bulb unit not the whole housing.
Also no tint on reflectors or reducing visibility. The issue with the aftermarket units is going too bright and distracting others but that applies to all bulb upgrades.

Reactions: adio1010

·
Super Moderator
12,164 Posts
US DOT Auto Headlamp regulations like some others were not updated with technology somewhat fossilising US cars under the skin through the 1960s. Importers had to adapt car designs to incorporate standard US headlights and bumpers.
Now US DOT regulations define MINIMUM standards while permitting higher levels.

Until 1975, all US headlights had to be round, non-halogen, U. S. Department of Transportation- (DOT)-approved sealed beam units, either two large dual-beam bulbs or 4 smaller single-beam units. From 1975 on, the DOT made provisions for rectangular sealed-beam bulbs, in the same layout as the round ones. In 1985, under pressure from consumers and automakers, the DOT finally adopted its current European-based lighting standard, which allows for halogen lamps and non-standard headlamp shapes. Most automakers have moved to composite lamps that blend with the styling of the vehicle, still within the DOT rules.

Headlights remain one of the most highly regulated systems on any vehicle. And unfortunately for North Americans, the existing European standard, legal but not mandatory in the US, is still years ahead of current minimum DOT regulations.

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Halo size

how big are halo rings? i know the lo and hi beams and turn signal very but is a hi beam in one set of headlights the same size as a hi beam halo in another set?

i found 120mm halos (for a BMW) for dirt cheap but wasnt sure if they would/could work on a caliber.

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i plan on buying a set of headlights that include halos on it but i want to change out the halo color. the headlights already include the inverters and all that other stuff required for hook up.

so when i buy different halos they dont need to include inverters right? are they just universal?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts