Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, I had my Cali for about a month, bought it in Europe. I have been lookin for replacement headlights for it, i liked the halo projectors and the stock ones but blacked out. I decided to go with the stock look and get the blacked out 1's. A problem I am comming across is that all the altermarket headlights I see for sell (all styles) dont mention if they have a motor built in to move the light up or down, like my stock ones have. Does anyone know if they have that motor or will I loose that fuction if I were to buy aftermarket lights?

And I would rather not black out my own headlights cause I drive it everyday and 2 do it properly I would need a couple days to make sure everything seals/dries correctly.

Thanks people! :smileup:

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I would say, if it doesn't say, then assume they don't. You can always contact the seller or manufacturer.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Are you talking an actual motor or just the adjusting screws? If it's the screws then my aftermarket projector/halo's have those in them.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Are you talking an actual motor or just the adjusting screws? If it's the screws then my aftermarket projector/halo's have those in them.
Once again, the people outside of NA get another neat gizmo that actual allows the headlights to be adjusted from inside the car while driving. Those are what he's talking about.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No it is a motor with a switch to adjust the angle of the beam here are a few pics of the button in all positions and of the headlight:
the dash where the switch is:

The switch in all the positions:

the headlight :

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Its a load compensating item to stop dazzle!! I believe its a legal requirement in UK / Europe?? If you make this system inoperative , you may be breaking some Local/National law & find your Cali may not pass its Annual Safety test!! ( If your country has one) My Jeep Patriot has the same switch.

·
Super Moderator
12,164 Posts
Its a load compensating item to stop dazzle!! I believe its a legal requirement in UK / Europe?? If you make this system inoperative , you may be breaking some Local/National law & find your Cali may not pass its Annual Safety test!! ( If your country has one) My Jeep Patriot has the same switch.
Pete's quite right - it's the EU law.

Internationalised ECE Regulation 48, in force in most of the world outside North America, currently requires such systems on all vehicles. Beginning in the 1970s, Germany and some other European countries began requiring remote-control headlamp levelling systems that permit the driver to lower the lamps' aim by means of a dashboard control lever or knob if the rear of the vehicle is weighted down with passengers or cargo, which would tend to raise the lamps' aim angle and create glare.

Headlights with particularly intense bulbs — xenons and high-power halogens — have to be equipped with automatic self-leveling systems that control the lamps' aim under all conditions. The beams are prevented from rising and zapping other drivers with glare when the vehicle is heavily loaded, suddenly accelerated, or driven over a rise in the road. They're also prevented from dipping and cutting short the driver's seeing distance under hard braking. Even the most powerful headlights are not required to have leveling systems under American regulations.

As automakers scramble to produce cost-saving global cars with cost-saving global parts, American regulators could be pressured to accept the system used by the other 181 countries in the world that use the European system. There is increasing worldwide harmonisation of the regulations. There is a World Forum For Harmonisation of Vehicle Regulations which is part of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe. All the major vehicle producing countries participate in this, including the US. Although the US also has its Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards organisation the regulations are merging.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I was wondering, maby some one could make a video of these lights adjusting, just because it seems pretty intense LOL

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
maybe i'll do
;)

but how can i upload it to where?!

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
here it is...
get some trouble with my wife cause she gone to bed and i do stuff for the forum...
:i_rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Nice little vid Kimbo---Reps for that!! Now North America knows what we mean!!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Thanks, for that

I finally understand LOL

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
no problem
:)
with my new youtube account
:D

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
:rep: Great job with the video Frank !
Glad you have a youtube account now ... hope you still have a wife too :D

I have that option too on my Caliber but I never used it ... till now! With HID I do since I noticed that some of the cars I spotted the last days flashed at me. I think maybe I need to keep them down because they are really too flashing and bright.
Glad I have that option ... sorry for who doesn't !!! :p

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
yeah... all fine
:)

cant wait to see a vid from your new headlights
;)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I have yet to have on person flash me, and I've drivin down the highway at like midnight with cars coming at me.
I don';t know if their just to scared to flash, or they just arn't that bright LOL, like thats the case

1 - 20 of 28 Posts