Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m installing grab handles from a Dodge Caravan. They have a push-on/off light and a vent for cooling/heat.

I’m thinking of installing a small blower and a thermocouple setup for the vent, but not quite sure how to set it up.

My main issue is the existing headliner - I made some cuts to get the new handle to fit better, but there are definitely high spots that I need to fill in or expand.

Any ideas for this?

(Actual pics of the install are further below)

·
Registered
573 Posts
It's easy enough to run electricity up to the light but getting a hose up there to feed that vent will be interesting. You've got the side curtain airbags to deal with so the A-pillars don't really have room for a vent hose. You also have to worry about having something sturdy enough up there for the grab handle to screw into...the reinforcements in there now for the current handle may not be in the same place for the Caravan handle.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Passenger side. Right is rear.

The screws for each of the handles is an exact fit on the original holes. There are spacers for the original handle that I had to wiggle out. The headliner had to be cut for the back end of the new handle to fit into.

Note: the rubber tube for the rear window sprayer runs along the top of this side, inside the foam insulation there. When cutting the headliner, I also cut that line. Somewhat of a pain to pull it out of the insulation to repair. FYI

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Driver rear side.

With the handles screwed in tight, there’s a lot of space available (I think) to put a thermocouple setup for heat/cool right at the location.

I don’t think I’ll need an air hose from the side - I think I could pull it from the top. I have a center roof-mounted console that has a lot of space for an air intake and/or fan.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

A lot of space...

I’d like to, somehow, pull the headliner down to be flush with the handle. More space for air, insulation, wiring, etc, would be nice. Just filling it up with expanding foam would be a total mess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts