1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's a little ridiculous....$14,000 for a 12 year old vehicle with almost 100,000 miles on it. I can't really complain too much though, the dealership I bought my caliber from was trying to sell it used (70,000 miles) for $14,000 but I ended up talking them down to $9,000. KBB on it is about $12,000 so I think I made out pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A third off a used car guy is impressive. All members buying should PM you !

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
That's a little ridiculous....$14,000 for a 12 year old vehicle with almost 100,000 miles on it. I can't really complain too much though, the dealership I bought my caliber from was trying to sell it used (70,000 miles) for $14,000 but I ended up talking them down to $9,000. KBB on it is about $12,000 so I think I made out pretty good.
According to Edmunds.com, This car should sell for between 8K and 9K.

8K = Private Sale
9K = Dealer Reatil Sale

Typical dealer tactics:

Set the "retail price" very high.
Allow you to fight and struggle and haggle to get the "best deal"
Sell the car to you for the local "going" price
Let you think you pulled a "fast one" on them
Laugh about it all the way to the bank - they got what they wanted - and you're none the wiser

·
Registered
52 Posts
According to Edmunds.com, This car should sell for between 8K and 9K.

8K = Private Sale
9K = Dealer Reatil Sale

Typical dealer tactics:

Set the "retail price" very high.
Allow you to fight and struggle and haggle to get the "best deal"
Sell the car to you for the local "going" price
Let you think you pulled a "fast one" on them
Laugh about it all the way to the bank - they got what they wanted - and you're none the wiser

I'm sure they paid the previous owner nothing close to what I paid for it but I like to tell myself I got the better end of the deal. The KBB value I got was the retail value ($11,140) but you're right about the private sale price (KBB said between 8 and 9000) so I'm still not complaining. Either way I plan on running the caliber until it can't move another inch so I think I'll get my money's worth out of it.

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The crowd hysteria has fizzled since gas prices started to fall, used prices are reportedly coming into line with book.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts