Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - new to the forum and I attempted to search for this problem prior to posting. If this is already a known issue, please excuse the new post and steer me in the right direction!

My 2007 Caliber SXT died while driving at highway speeds. The windshield wipers and turn signals activated on their own, and the needle on the speedometer swung up to 100 and then back to zero several times. The engine died and had to coast to the shoulder. The engine would not turn over - just electrical clicking when the starter was engaged. The engine had been turning over slowly on starts, so I thought a new battery was needed even prior to this catastrophic failure. I replaced the battery - engine still cranked very slowly, but fired. It ran long enough to get it inside the garage when it died and repeated the previous weirdness. Will not start - no CEL, but checking codes anyway I found the following: p0700, p0606, p161b, and p0219. Cleared the codes, bumped the starter with the same results - clicking - and codes reappeared.

I have read through some Google searches about failure of the TICM (also referred to TIPM in some articles). After reading through several posts on this forum, I'm confident that there are several excellent resources here that will be able to help.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide - this is my wife's daily driver, and I want my garage space back!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No replies from anyone - disappointing, but I went ahead and ordered a TICM. Kind of pricey, so I hope this is the fix! It is taking them over a week to ship - apparently they make them from scratch when they get the order:doh:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The TIPM can be a source for this complaint ,first thing to do is clean all
the connections to the module.

·
Registered
676 Posts
You should check the wiring behind the drivers headlight. There is a part with no loom around the wrong and it rubs on the inner fender and wears through and shorts together and freaks the tipm out. I had this issue. Glad I was able to diagnose this before spending tons of Dough on a new tipm. Only cost 5 bucks and 2 hours to fix the wires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tonatom - I will start a search and destroy mission. I was able to find a used TIPM online for a couple hundred bucks - installed it, but no changes. Not throwing any error codes, but still won't start. I hope it is the wiring loom!

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
You'll need to remove the battery and battery tray along with the splash liner under the fender in order to properly inspect that wire bundle. It's a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
most of the wires in that loom were protected. I glanced at the loom behind the passenger side headlight, and it appears to have no shielding, and it does cross over an unprotected edge where the fender meets the body. I will keep hunting... if anyone else has any ideas, i'm all ears:)

·
Registered
710 Posts
You need to examine the wiring very closely for signs of chafing or cuts. I had a similar problem last year, and my mechanic found a shorted wire in the harness...the insulation had been cut by a sharp edge on the body. The cut in the wire's insulation was barely detectable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts