Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone may help me. I have 2007 Dodge Caliber R/T. All winter since the temperatures during the day have been less than 70 degrees F. I could not fill the gas tank. Only by slowly putting gas in. Today I put gas in my car and I was able to set the pump to shut off. It worked wonderful. All winter I changed vapor canister, ESMI, purge valve, and check the fuel tube. Could it just be the temperature. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sounds like the tank isn't venting properly, allowing pressure to build up and cause the pump to shut off prematurely. The EVAP system includes a vent solenoid that's supposed to allow gasoline vapors to move from the tank into charcoal canister when pressure builds up...it could be stuck in the closed position.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the tank isn't venting properly, allowing pressure to build up and cause the pump to shut off prematurely. The EVAP system includes a vent solenoid that's supposed to allow gasoline vapors to move from the tank into charcoal canister when pressure builds up...it could be stuck in the closed position.
Thank you.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Were you always using the same pump? I've found some pumps just can't take any back pressure at all and they shut off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Spray a considerable amount of WD-40 in the tiny vent hole, inside top-side of the filler opening.

Drive until the fuel level is about half. Try to fuel up. If the problem persists, take a rubber mallet and give the tanks a few solid poundings.

This trick saved me $1000 on a new tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Were you always using the same pump? I've found some pumps just can't take any back pressure at all and they shut off.
It happened at any pump. Different stations and all. Now since the temperature is above 60 degrees F. It seems to fill properly at all stations

1 - 6 of 6 Posts