Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello members,
My front tires in the inside are wearing . I have replaced the lower control arms at 110,000 km and i know suspension on these vehicles are not robust. Can someone direct me on what other suspension parts i should replace, i have 168,000 km on it now. I have had the car from new, 2008 sxt 2.0L motor.
Thanks Bill

·
Registered
557 Posts
Have you had the front end alignment on your car checked or was it realigned after you replaced the lower control arms?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Any number of things can create wear. Don't be surprised if you used cheap parts that the control arms and or ball joints are worn out again up front. I've got 315k km on mine been thru 3 or 4 sets up front. Lost count now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
True the Suspension in the Caliber is not the Greatest, I have replaced the Upper and Lower Control Arms in the Front and Rear of my 2008 SXT 2.0 L. Also new Ball Joints twice on the front end. I only have 85,000 miles on mine. The roads in the area I live in are Crap, so that doesn't help either (Pothole City). LOL. Before you ask, yes I have had Alignments done each time I have had Suspension work done. Other than this I have had no major issues with mine, other than replacing Alternator. It has been a reliable Vehicle for me. Everyone asks me when I am buying a New Vehicle and honestly I can say I dont know as I like my Caliber, and it has low miles, plus I am one of the fortunate ones to have the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty on mine, so she should be good for awhile yet, as I do keep her maintained.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel the same way, I bought mine new in 2008, and have 170,000km on it and had the alternator replaced also. I just replaced the lower control arm around 110,000. I got a quote from Kal tire to redo the front suspension, $2400! Just curious on that, I had a nail in my tire and he noticed inside wear on the front tires. I see on eBay I can get a package for $200
Front Left and Front Right Lower Control Arms (complete with balljoints and bushings)
-Left and Right Inner Tie Rod Ends
-Left and Right Outer Tie Rod Ends
-Front Left and Front Right Sway Bar End Links (Stabilizer Links)

would that be all I need for front?, then get wheel alignment.
I have the same sediments, I really like this car has been really reliable so far.

·
Registered
557 Posts
What kind of quality do you think you're going to get for $200 for all of that stuff? Parts are cheap, labor is expensive, so don't scrimp!

I had the front control arms replaced with Moogs but the "greased for life" ball joints on them started going bad again after 18 months or so. Control arm bushings were still good so my mechanic replaced the ball joints with Moog "Problem Solver" ball joints (that feature grease fittings I top off every time I change the oil) and they've held up for several years now. The rest of the front suspension is still original (10 years old, 97K miles).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chris, totally get it, you get what you pay for. I would do the labour, but I don't want to do it every couple years, so Moog parts I'll get. All the parts listed is all I need then?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I get most of the stuff for my daily drivers from RockAuto...great prices and pretty quick shipping
You do have to be vigilant with Rock Auto though. They will substitute lower quality parts for the upgrade quality you ordered/paid for. I had this happen a few times with them and they simply say its their prerogative to substitute parts with others of lower quality for the same price. If you complain they'll refer you to their user agreement small print.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That sucks, thanks for the heads up! Here in Canada, Lordco is a major part store. They quoted me $1100 for parts and Rock Auto was $340 so obviously I'll try the Rock to see what happens.

·
Registered
672 Posts
That sucks, thanks for the heads up! Here in Canada, Lordco is a major part store. They quoted me $1100 for parts and Rock Auto was $340 so obviously I'll try the Rock to see what happens.
I've been ordering from rock auto for at least 12 years and I've never had a part substituded.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts