Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that a few ppl are getting front end noise while going over speed bumps and such. I had a slight cluck in the front end of my cali and took it in. After about an hour in the customer lounge the service tech told me that stabilizer link bushings were prematurely worn (defective). Not sure if this is the same for anybody ealses cali but thought it might help.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Did that cure the noise for you? I seem to recall something about some incorrect size bolts on the control arms too. At least I think that's where they were.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Had a creaking noise in mine and it turned out to be the strut bearings were bad. Of course if i didnt have 5 sets of speed bumps to drive over every time i come home or leave i would never have known it as the only time it made noise was over the speed bumps

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Did that cure the noise for you? I seem to recall something about some incorrect size bolts on the control arms too. At least I think that's where they were.
The bolts were actually correct but not tightened to the proper specs from factory, resulting in premature wear and underside table assembly + tie rod dammage.

I had the whole works redone under warranty (and recall). Minus the alignment wich I had to pay (was quite upset about that).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It did fix the noise. Never had a problem with the control arms.:smileup: I also have multiple speed bumps to contend with in the parking lot at home. :shakehead: It seems I got a cali that is not suffering many problems.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Ok...have an update on the creaking noise coming from the front of my Cali...ITS BAACCKK.... Have noticed this noise again.. I took it into the dealership this morning and the tech and i went for a ride and of course, no noise during the test ride. So the tech puts it up on the lift and i tell him to check the control arms as it sounds like control arm bushings are worn or seperated. So he comes back in a minute later and says yup the rear bushings on both control arms had seperated. Said he put a pry bar on it to pull on them at which point he heard the creak and could see that the bushings had come apart. 27,200 miles on the car. So they give me a loaner car, a 2009 White Caliber SXT. Dont know what they have done since they started building them but this one has better pick up than mine and is a hell of a lot quieter on the highway. I checked it when i got home and this one has the same firestone tires i have. Wondering if it has anything to do with the aluminum rims this has versus the steel wheels that i have...And the engine seems quieter and i checked to see if it had an engine cover by chance (i know full well that they quit putting them on the cars but this was so quiet i had to check) and of course it did not have one.

·
Super Moderator
12,569 Posts
Dont know what they have done since they started building them but this one has better pick up than mine and is a hell of a lot quieter on the highway. I checked it when i got home and this one has the same firestone tires i have. Wondering if it has anything to do with the aluminum rims this has versus the steel wheels that i have...
Are the alloys 17" compared to your Steel 15" - could be a noise factor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I took mine in Monday for the same thing. The dealership told me the sway bar bushings were loose. He said that he torqued everything that he could get to in the suspension down and to come back if the noise doesn't go away. Well it didn't. It happen less now, but it it much louder when it "pops". It is an 08, but I bought it new on 5-14-09. It only had 87 miles on it when i got it and 1400+ now. Sound has been there from the start, and gotten worse over time. Help??

·
Registered
719 Posts
Ok just got home from picking my car up after the control arms were replaced. Drove it home, into the parking lot over all the speed bumps and i am currently happy to report that absolutely no noise now coming from the front end. Oh and get this.. So they give me a loaner car to drive while mine is getting fixed. I leave work and i am in the parking lot with one car in front of me waiting to pull out onto the road and what does this dumb broad do.. puts her car into reverse and backs right into me.. I blow the horn and try and get it into reverse and back up but no luck she still slams into me.. Luckily no damage to the loaner.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Maybe she was there because her rear view mirrors weren't working!! LOL At least you didn't get hurt.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm having the same problems on my Cali to,I mean going over speed bumps,pulling out of my parking lot and I hear this awful noise coming from under the front end.
I'm gonna talk to my other half about calling the dealer and make an appointment to fix this as I'm getting sick of the noise i hear.
Hopefully i won't get the run a round from them and they will fix it and that will be the end of it.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
I'm having the same problems on my Cali to,I mean going over speed bumps,pulling out of my parking lot and I hear this awful noise coming from under the front end.
I'm gonna talk to my other half about calling the dealer and make an appointment to fix this as I'm getting sick of the noise i hear.
Hopefully i won't get the run a round from them and they will fix it and that will be the end of it.
Just quote them this RRT: http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=26471

·
Registered
105 Posts
So just to update on my situation with the rattle from the front drivers side...I took the car in so they can take a look and told them about the problem and showed him the RRT that Prop1 linked me to.So after hour and a half of waiting they tell me that they could not recreate the noise and also they typed my VIN number and no RRT comes up for my car.
I was expecting this kind of response from them anyway so I'm not very surprised by it.
The thing is this noise is more noticeable on rainy days and not when it is dry outside.
Oh well at list i tried. :(

I forget to say that the mechanic also left me couple of greasy fingerprints on the headliner by the edge of the door.GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
308 Posts
Dude, I had the same thing sounds like, and got it resolved. Check out my thread:
http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=27568

Order the bolts from Mopar ($10). Have your legit regular mechanic put them in. My guy charged me $35 labor.

If the dealer finds the problem, they have to fix it. So, they find no problems until your car really falls apart. That is not the kind of mechanic I want.

When I took mine in, they said the only thing they heard was some squeaking coming from the back of the car. Later I realized that was 'cause my spoiler was about to fall off. They didn't even want to fix that! Just some lock-tight and a socket wrench did the trick.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dude, I had the same thing sounds like, and got it resolved. Check out my thread:
http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=27568

Order the bolts from Mopar ($10). Have your legit regular mechanic put them in. My guy charged me $35 labor.

If the dealer finds the problem, they have to fix it. So, they find no problems until your car really falls apart. That is not the kind of mechanic I want.

When I took mine in, they said the only thing they heard was some squeaking coming from the back of the car. Later I realized that was 'cause my spoiler was about to fall off. They didn't even want to fix that! Just some lock-tight and a socket wrench did the trick.
Thanks for that..when i go to my next oil change and no I'm not having the dealer do it either,i will tell the mechanic to take care of this problem.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Ok...have an update on the creaking noise coming from the front of my Cali.... 27,200 miles on the car....
I had the clunking, thumping sound when braking hard and over bumps. Started at 27K, repaired at 31K. It says "strut, front suspension and lower control arm". right and left. The noise is gone. Is there anything else I need to worry about? I'm close to the magic 36. lol

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
I had the clunking, thumping sound when braking hard and over bumps. Started at 27K, repaired at 31K. It says "strut, front suspension and lower control arm". right and left. The noise is gone. Is there anything else I need to worry about? I'm close to the magic 36. lol
If it hasn't been making any noises since they fixed it, you should be good...MIA person.;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
does anyone know if you can get bushings separately or will have to purchase the entire control are kit. I have 48,000 on mine and will also need both struts replaced and my right side tire rod replaced. The mechanic said the bushings needed replacement but the guys @ the dealership said that bushings cannot be purchased separately..I need HELP!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts