Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Many of you already know that Fram oil filters are considered crap by many sources. It turns out that Kia and Hyundai, who also use the same "World Engine" that's in the Caliber, don't recommend the use of non-OEM oil filters because of Fram. Everything from valve ticking and noisy engine clatter on start-up to blown engines have been attributed to the use of Fram oil filters. The Canadian Tire MotoMaster filters are made by Fram. So avoid them, also.

Glad I haven't used Fram in over 15 years!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I used to use FRAM all the time and never had a problem but my last car I had hell with it. Everytime I would go to pull it off it weighed about 5 lbs and no fluid would spill out of it and I used them 3 different times with the same problem I then switched to WIX and on the next poil change it was fine. Same amount of miles same oil brand was used all that was changed was the filter brand. With the WIX the oil still looked good but the fram it was a black hell.

Not trying to promote WIX here just agreeing to FRAM sucks lol.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I've used Fram for years. I can't say that I've had any problems, but I have noticed they trap more oil in the filter when changing like you said. The last one I got was a Mopar from Walmart. Maybe I'll just stick with that.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've used Fram for years. I can't say that I've had any problems, but I have noticed they trap more oil in the filter when changing like you said. The last one I got was a Mopar from Walmart. Maybe I'll just stick with that.
Purolator makes the Mopar.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I've been using the Purolator Gold series filters for about ten years now. I've never had any problems with them. I'll stick with what I'm happy with.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Walmart has sold Fram for years. Since this has happened with the "World Engines" in the Hyundai/Kia vehicles, they refuse to do oil changes on them. Interesting thing is that they have in the past 2 years started selling Mopar filters, and will change the oil in Chrysler vehicles for that reason.

As I've researched this more, it turns out that these engines are very sensitive to oil pressure. Typically, when you accelerate, an oil filter goes into bypass. If the filter doesn't go into bypass at the right pressure, the engine starves for oil when you most need it. The Fram goes into bypass too late, and because their bypass value is cheap, as the filter gets dirty, it stays in bypass prematurely.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Prop1, I am going to have to argue with you on the above post because I worked in the automotive section of wal mart for about a year. I did everything oil changed and excreta mostly worked inside and did the write ups.

The only filters they carry in the shop are FRAM. If you want a different type of filter you need to tell the service writer or they will give you the FRAM or “Super Tech” (WM brand). The only time I was allowed to refuse to work on a car was when we just out right didn’t carry the parts. If you ask for house brand oil they carry “Penzoil” which I’m not a big fan of but if you are going with the regular package you can get Castrol, Valvoline, or Quaker State.

Same with the Synthetic brands if you don’t make a choice its synthetic penzoil, but if you are smart for the same price you can get Mobil 1.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Prop1, I am going to have to argue with you on the above post because I worked in the automotive section of wal mart for about a year. I did everything oil changed and excreta mostly worked inside and did the write ups.

The only filters they carry in the shop are FRAM. If you want a different type of filter you need to tell the service writer or they will give you the FRAM or “Super Tech” (WM brand). The only time I was allowed to refuse to work on a car was when we just out right didn’t carry the parts. If you ask for house brand oil they carry “Penzoil” which I’m not a big fan of but if you are going with the regular package you can get Castrol, Valvoline, or Quaker State.

Same with the Synthetic brands if you don’t make a choice its synthetic penzoil, but if you are smart for the same price you can get Mobil 1.

Just reporting what I read. The only thing I know as a fact is that my Walmart sells Fram and for the last 2 years I can confirm the point about offering Mopar filters. I don't know the situation at your Walmart, or what time frame you worked at Walmart. I can also confirm that the TSB released by Hyundai/Kia was directed at Fram filters, but for legal reasons, they had to make it a generic "all aftermarket" filters warning. But it's well know in the industry that the only cars having issues were those that Frams were used on.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I worked at Wal Mart between May of ’09 to Sept of ’09. I am sure the Corporate office will say they won’t but if you go to a Wal Mart they will.

I wasn’t trying to argue with you just letting you know my experience from working at a WM.

All WM’s have a monthly quota for oil changes, tire sells, and the gum out engine flush/injector cleaner.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
From Oil Filters Revealed (The Mini-Mopar Guy):

Fram Extra Guard

Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circulating through my system. The oil passage to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it.

Fram Double Guard

Another bad filter idea brought to you by your friends at Fram. The filter itself is a slightly improved design over the Fram Extra Guard, but still uses the same filter element. It has a silicone anti-drainback valve, a quality pressure relief valve, and enough inlet holes for good flow. The big problem is that they are trying to cash in on the Slick 50 craze. They impregnate the filter element with bits of Teflon like that found in Slick 50. As with Slick 50, Teflon is a solid and does not belong in an engine. It cannot get into the parts of the engine that oil can and therefore does nothing. Also, as the filter gets dirty, it ends up filtering the Teflon right out. DuPont (the manufacturer of Teflon) does not recommend Teflon for use in internal combustion engines. Please do not waste your money on this filter.

Fram High Mileage

Yet another bad filter idea brought to you by your friends at Fram! Gotta love these guys. It's a Fram Extra Guard with a weird goo cartridge suspended on the clean side of the filter, blocking the outlet. It's supposed to be some kind of additive package, but if you want a high mileage oil, buy a high mileage oil. I don't trust these guys...sorry.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I wonder if a boycott of FRAM is in order. When I got my cali a year ago in March I thought about using them as well but stopped in my tracks when I read horror stories about them. Its unfortunate that they are tooo easy to find. I get my oil cheaper @ Walmart in the 5qt jug and grab a Purolator filter from Pep-Boys.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
It's easy to just assume that a popular brand name must be good. I know I never researched filter designs or materials, but I will now. Thanks again Brad for informing us all. :smileup:

·
Registered
714 Posts
I was a terrible Wal Mart sales man. I suggested people spend the extra dollar and buy a good filter and before buying tires look at other places like direct tire. Most people don’t know that if you buy a non WM tire they will still put them on you just won’t get the warranty.

This gave me an idea what is the general census on FRAM air filters?

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was a terrible Wal Mart sales man. I suggested people spend the extra dollar and buy a good filter and before buying tires look at other places like direct tire. Most people don’t know that if you buy a non WM tire they will still put them on you just won’t get the warranty.

This gave me an idea what is the general census on FRAM air filters?
They appear to be as good as OEM, but I still won't buy one. Until they get it that people want quality oil filters, like they used to make, they'll get none of my money.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts