Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=27388 Link to the original idea. I thought this was a great addition to the interior without too much effort, and a great way to pass the time while I'm waiting for some things I've ordered to arrive. TEXAXBOY's got a great how-to, but I did mine a bit different so I'm writing one as well.

1: Simply pop out the footrest (driver's side). It comes out with little trouble, just get some leverage. Clean it well with an ammonia based cleaner (Windex).

2: Search online for the font you want and Dodge Insignia, print them out in the sizes that fit, I just eyeballed.

3: To create a stencil, tape some cardboard behind your letters and cut to a manageable size. Use an exact-o-knife (or scalpel for accuracy) and cut out the letters. Takes some practice, but they'll be looking good. Just take your time. The ram head takes the most patience.

4: I used a for-plastic textured spray paint to give it a little more "umph", better than the dull black & it covers up any previous blemishes. Test your stencils on some newspaper to make sure they'll turn out the way you want on the foot rest (good news about spraypainting them on is you can do it over as much as you need:doh:).

5: Tape over any parts you don't want painted, and tape your stencils down in the position you desire. Paint as much as you want, it's your project after all, and if you like it is all that matters! After the paint dries and looks the way you want, you can go back and apply a clear coat of nail polish for a little extra protection, and it brings out the lines more. KEEP YOUR STENCILS. Most likely this will require some touch-ups awhile down the road.

And... Viola!

Hope this helps anyone who's going for the creative foot rest! Thanks for reading & thanks to TEXASBOY for the inspiration. Let me know if you have any questions!

-Wilk

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Thanks for sharing this how-to and pics. :rep:

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Nice write up with pics :smileup: It turned out great!

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
Very nice. I'm impressed and that's not easy to do with me. Reps for that.

·
Super Moderator
12,256 Posts
Sure makes you look like an artist. Admire the delicate touch with the old logo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it, it was a fun project. :wavey: Also, just got in a Buflector II, and will be installing the custom splash guards soon.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
nice job!!!!!! I had to do mine both ways then I did the engraving....I cheated on the ram emblem though ;)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I would guess that very few people even use
the footrest much as it is intended.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@ Brokenbone "How well do you expect it to hold up, after time in use ?"

My guess is the blue paint will get rubbed off a bit or chipped after 3-4 months, but the black textured stuff isn't "supposed" to be able to chip after 7 days. But, I'll keep you all updated on the durability.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts