Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i was wondering if you could buy the fold down speakers off of ebay or something? and i was wondering if they are worth the search? Do they play music when the hatch is down and not open? or just when the hatch is open?

thanks

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
They play all the time and sound like a cheap clock radio. Since you would need a new complete tail gate trim piece to install these crap speakers, they are a total waste of money. Even with the gate open, 90% of the sound comes from the other speakers in the car.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They play all the time and sound like a cheap clock radio. Since you would need a new complete tail gate trim piece to install these crap speakers, they are a total waste of money. Even with the gate open, 90% of the sound comes from the other speakers in the car.

ok so im just better off with replacing stock speakers with aftermarkets and possibly adding subs in the back?

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
ok so im just better off with replacing stock speakers with aftermarkets and possibly adding subs in the back?
Yep.....................................................

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Hold your horses Brad. Most of the sound does come from the rest of the car but those speakers do make a noticeable difference with the hatch open and the speakers dropped. I use mine almost every other weekend for weekend stuff at the park, or working on my brothers car ( I back the Caliber up to his garage and pop the hatch).

Having said that, I agree it probably isn't worth the money to put them on a Caliber than never had them. You'll get better results from getting a sub back there first, and that'll also be cheaper. Also that option was part of the BA sound system, so the rest of the speakers are slightly better anyway.

In the end, I may upgrade those speakers and the dash speakers eventually, but as is the BA system rocks hard enough for me.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Hold your horses Brad. Most of the sound does come from the rest of the car but those speakers do make a noticeable difference with the hatch open and the speakers dropped. I use mine almost every other weekend for weekend stuff at the park, or working on my brothers car ( I back the Caliber up to his garage and pop the hatch).

Having said that, I agree it probably isn't worth the money to put them on a Caliber than never had them. You'll get better results from getting a sub back there first, and that'll also be cheaper. Also that option was part of the BA sound system, so the rest of the speakers are slightly better anyway.

In the end, I may upgrade those speakers and the dash speakers eventually, but as is the BA system rocks hard enough for me.
I have to go by the '07 and '08 tailgate speakers, but I just saw a picture from a 2010 Caliber of these speakers. They looked to be physically different. The first 2 years the Calibers changed little, but starting in '09 the Caliber started showing a lot of improvements. It would be nice if a comparison of those speakers could be done through the years.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Has anyone ever thought of disconnecting the rear seat speakers, running the wires to jacks in the hatch area, and getting a pair of decent compact speakers to plug in for outside the car use?
They would definitely sound better than any car speakers ever could.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Actually my 90 Bronco II did something like that. We mounted a DC to AC converter in the back to power an old portable guitar amp that was jacked into the radio. Wasn't pretty but when you're 16, flat broke but have a garage with tools and wiring gear, you come up with some pretty interesting stuff.

Back on topic, I have no Idea if the 09 lift-gate speakers are different from the 08 or older, but there were a lot of changes from 08 to 09 and 09 to 10, so it's within the realm of possibility. Sadly no Calibers I know of down in AZ have the BA system on a 08 or older vehicle, so I can't do a side-by-side comparison.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
If I remember correctly, the speakers were 3" mid-range crap in the '07 and '08. The picture of the '10 Caliber grille area looked like the speakers got bigger. Like maybe 5-1/4" size with more enclosure volume.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I think it depends of the sound package you have.

The ones in my 09 SRT4 are definitely better than those I had in my 07 RT, but I have the Kicker Livin' Loud package.

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
If I remember correctly, the speakers were 3" mid-range crap in the '07 and '08. The picture of the '10 Caliber grille area looked like the speakers got bigger. Like maybe 5-1/4" size with more enclosure volume.
Took a look on Dodges website, they looked the same for me. So I decided to give Crutchfield a shot, they list the 2011 Caliber as having the 3-1/2" speakers. Too bad!! cause I would have upgraded if possible. They really should think about it, I'll bet a lot of people would buy.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I'd say, if you can find a Caliber with the lift gate speakers in a "Pick-n-pull" type junk, sorry, "Recycling" yard for cheap, it'd be worth it for the enclosure alone. Speakers can always be upgraded later. The Caliber R/T's have come with the Boston as standard equipment since the '08 model year, which went into production in August of '07, so you've got close to four years worth of R/T Cali's in wrecking yards by now, that includes the "You-Wrench-It/Pick-N-Pull"'s too.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
JMB has been selling a CSRT4 in pieces for a few months, on the Blue site. He has a complete back hatch listed for 200$. It's the full hatch (black) with the interior.

calibersrt4 dot net/private-sale-classifieds/31546-fs-08-caliber-srt4-complete-partout-motor-trans-interior-much-more.html

Might be a good way to get all you need for the liftgate.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I replaced the speakers to Infinity Coaxs. Even if the size was only 3 1/2", coupled with the BA sub, they acted like satelitte speakers. With the Infinity's, I noticed you did not even need to drop the speakers to get a good sound. The high range dispersement was pretty good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd say, if you can find a Caliber with the lift gate speakers in a "Pick-n-pull" type junk, sorry, "Recycling" yard for cheap, it'd be worth it for the enclosure alone. Speakers can always be upgraded later. The Caliber R/T's have come with the Boston as standard equipment since the '08 model year, which went into production in August of '07, so you've got close to four years worth of R/T Cali's in wrecking yards by now, that includes the "You-Wrench-It/Pick-N-Pull"'s too.
Just wondering if I found the tailgate speakers and the hatch trim for a Caliber for 45.00 should I by them?

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
Just wondering if I found the tailgate speakers and the hatch trim for a Caliber for 45.00 should I by them?
You would need to probably buy an amp and run wires, I don't believe they are plug in play. They were part of the Boston Acoustics upgrade that had an 8 channel amp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts