Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 caliber SXT that the engine light has started to flash when i sit at a stop light. When i take off form the light it runs rough but that cleras up when i get up to speed. Then the light quits blinking. I haven't had a chance to have the codes checked yet.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Flashing indicates a serious problem - get the codes read ASAP - you may want to consider going to a dealer ASAP also.

According to the owner's manual, a flashing CEL indicates a problem that might result in engine damage if neglected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well as an update. I got the codes checked it was a camshaft sensor and a miss on cylinder 3. So far i have replaced both camshaft sensors, the cranksfaft sensor and all 4 spark plugs and ignition coils. The the motor shakes less on idle but still hesitates on acceleration when I take it for short test drives. Any other suggestions on what it might be. I am about ready to do one of my least favorite thing and call a mechanic in to look it over. (Nothing against the mechanics out there I just like to fix things myself.)

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Battery and alternator are always a possibility when strange things happen that can't seem to be fixable.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Well, if you got that alternator at Autozone, that could be the problem. Take it to your closest Autozone or Advance Auto Parts and have them roll their ARBST tester out and load test your charging system. It sure sounds like a charging problem to me.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Important questions:

Is the check engine light out now?
Are there still any codes present?

You might also want to try the throttle response procedure listed elsewhere on the forum.
You might want to pull and inspect your plugs to male sure they are all clean.
Finally, try a bottle of fuel injector cleaner on your next fill up.

Sometimes, you need to let an engine come up to normal operating temperature before you can truly judge it. (about the halfway point on our gauges)

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Another question. Did you disconnect the battery when you changed out the camshaft sensors? If not, you still have the bad ones stored in the PCM.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Another question. Did you disconnect the battery when you changed out the camshaft sensors? If not, you still have the bad ones stored in the PCM.
Yes - very good point. I'd definitely disconnect the battery overnight.

Also, for safety reasons (short circuits, unexpected engine cranking, etc.) the service manual recommends disconnecting the battery for almost any electrical work on the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep i learned a long time ago that you disconnect the battery any time you work on a car. i disconnected it when I changed out the ball joints on the front suspension. Just to be safe. The only difference from most of your suggestions is i usually disconnect the positive, just the way I was taught I guess.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Dude, you were taught wrong. You always disconnect the ground cable.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Electrically, it does not matter which cable you disconnect - you have removed the battery from the system.

Safety-wise, it matters a lot.

You are loosening the battery connector, your wrench slips and shorts the battery post to the car's chassis.

Positive post - hot metal and sulfuric acid shower
Negative post - nothing (except maybe some skinned knuckles)

ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE FIRST

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well after all the sensors where changed i brought in my mechanic and the engine ended up getting completly tore apart and the piston rings are on order. Hopefully I will be driving the car at the end of the week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well after all the sensors where changed i brought in my mechanic and the engine ended up getting completly tore apart and the piston rings are on order. Hopefully I will be driving the car at the end of the week.
Update on this one!? Is car driving good now?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts