Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
One thing that has always bugged me about my Caliber has been the very stiff motion and poor movement of the HVAC Airflow selector. In my car it moved poorly, especially to the rightmost floor+ defrost and especially defrost setting. I even had a few occasions where the control if set to full defrost actually sprung back to the position before it! Compared to my Focus, the controls are awful but its just a quirk I learned to live with, until today!

Today I was cleaning my car, I decided to remove the glove box (to see the cabin filter access other had talked about) while in there, I was looking around and saw this large round white wheel with a linkage attached. I turned the selector and sure enough it moved, so I turned it to the far right and discovered the problem. There is a small (about an inch diameter) black corrugated tube, I would assume going from the air box to one of the vents. This hose was out of place and was actually interfering with the linkage on the wheel when moved to the far right. I reached around, actually above where I could see it and found a clip or a tab. I moved the hose to sit behind it, tried the control again and it worked perfectly!! easier to turn the dial and select any of the settings! I believe this tab is actually more of a guide for that hose as it fit right in.

1. Remove Glove box door (has been documented elsewhere), When the door is open there are 2 tabs that hold it, push the tabs inward to release. the door will drop down much lower exposing the airbox and the access for the cabin filter.

2. Look inside up and to the left of the airbox, you will see the large (approx 3" diameter) white wheel and linkage.

3. You will also see a black corrugated hose attached to the left of the air box.

4. Check your airflow dial movement. If the hose is in the way, the linkage will hit or rub against it especially in the rightmost settings.

5. Stick your hand inside the opening and feel above the left side of the airbox, you will feel a small tab or guide. Simply move the hose over behind it.

6. The hose should now no longer interfere with the linkage, test its motion again to confirm.

7 Replace Glove box door.

Thats it!

Like I said before, my car may have been an extreme (very poor movement and sometimes a refusal to go or stay in defrost) It's certainly worth checking out however and in my case really helped improve the "feel" of these somewhat poor controls.

rmurad38

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Yowsa! That thing has nagged me since day one! great find!
:rep:

Please do post pictures if you have them.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Reps for the fix for this problem rmurad38. I don't have this problem but i'm sure they are some other members that do. It's nice to share information like this so if someone else is having the same problem, they will also be able to fix it.

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
Nice!! I'm going to give mine a look ASAP!!:smileup: I also moved this thread to the proper forum and I'll make it a sticky.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Nice find... mine has done that since day one.. I took it to the dealership and they replaced the control head and cables and guess what...IT STILL DOES IT.. I am going to have to give mine a look once the weather starts clearing up..

·
Registered
3,498 Posts

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Good job rmurad38 ! And much better now with the pics

·
Registered
105 Posts
This should be covered under warranty correct? My wifes does this, and I don't see the need to take it apart if the dealers will fix it. If they don't fix it correctly after so many times doesn't the lemon law take affect?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I would assume the warranty should cover this, however, as someone posted earlier, the controls and cables might get replaced, but if this hose is not routed properly, the problem wont be fixed. Of course, you can keep taking it back until its solved, and who knows, perhaps the dealer is aware of it. This really isn't a defect or a bad part, just a mistake in assembly...plus it takes all of 5 min to "fix" yourself.

rmurad38

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is true, may as well fix it myself and avoid the dealership their customer service is far less than acceptable, and I'm sure they haven't a clue of what they are doing... last time I was in they damaged TPMS, I had to wait like 4 hours and they didn't even offer to give me a car so I could go do something or a very least a ride... Perhaps, if they offered better service more people would buy their cars.

Yes, I would assume the warranty should cover this, however, as someone posted earlier, the controls and cables might get replaced, but if this hose is not routed properly, the problem wont be fixed. Of course, you can keep taking it back until its solved, and who knows, perhaps the dealer is aware of it. This really isn't a defect or a bad part, just a mistake in assembly...plus it takes all of 5 min to "fix" yourself.

rmurad38

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
This should be covered under warranty correct? My wifes does this, and I don't see the need to take it apart if the dealers will fix it. If they don't fix it correctly after so many times doesn't the lemon law take affect?
The same problem 4 times, but I would think that the lemon law only applies to major problems.

·
Registered
114 Posts
:rep: Thanks! I had the same problem with my dial going backwards. After the heat was in the car it would stay in place. I thought it was just the cold in the vehicle making it do that, and I would have to put up with the issue.
It's amazing how a simple assembly glitch can get missed, but even better that it can be resolved almost by accident. GOOD JOB!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I wondered all winter what was up with my defrost dial... same issue for me, does not always stay in the right further most position.
Does the glove box just slip out?

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
I wondered all winter what was up with my defrost dial... same issue for me, does not always stay in the right further most position.
Does the glove box just slip out?
Read #1 in the first post, it tells you how to open it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I stopped at my dealer and they ordered a part and replaced it, now the dial works great, the way it is supposed to. And it was covered by warranty.

(I would have to go look in my car for the work order for me to be able to tell you what the part was)

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
I stopped at my dealer and they ordered a part and replaced it, now the dial works great, the way it is supposed to. And it was covered by warranty.

(I would have to go look in my car for the work order for me to be able to tell you what the part was)
Glad you had it fixed and covered by warranty! :smileup:
Yes please tell us what part was when you can

·
Registered
86 Posts
Glad you had it fixed and covered by warranty! :smileup:
Yes please tell us what part was when you can
The paper says "Replace Heater Control Cable" - Cable 24-004-065 - the part was just under $19, and they were paid 1.30 hours labour. Thank goodness I did not have to pay that at $99 an hour! :smileup:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Have this issue on my car as well. They replaced the cable and control head. I looked behind the glove box and everything appears to be routed properly as it is still doing it.. I will take it in again before the warranty runs out..

·
Registered
86 Posts
I now seem to be having this same issue with my 2009 - I cannot believe someone would not bring this in to be fixed when owning the car for two years...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts