Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Popular Mechanics recommends the first oil change to be at 20 miles, and the second one at 1000 miles. The 20 mile oil "usually looks like metal-flake paint, iridescent with tiny particles of metal worn off rubbing surfaces inside the new engine." After the first few hours of operation, this "breaking in" diminishes rapidly. The change at 1000 mile then gets rid of the last of the break in debris and normal extended change intervals can be implemented.

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
Wow, I thought I was anal!! LOL!! I would think the filter should be doing it's job up to a certain point, and it would be way beyond 20 miles even under break-in conditions. To me 20 miles just might be a tad too early, I wonder what an oil analysis would say?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, I thought I was anal!! LOL!! I would think the filter should be doing it's job up to a certain point, and it would be way beyond 20 miles even under break-in conditions. To me 20 miles just might be a tad too early, I wonder what an oil analysis would say?
The reasoning is that they run the crap out of these cars for a couple miles to wear the rings in and other parts. This is when the most metal debris is formed.

I had a friend that used to drive Chevys from the end of the assembly line to the transport holding area. They were instructed to beat the **** out of the car for the 2 mile drive so the engine would break in properly.

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
They were instructed to beat the **** out of the car for the 2 mile drive so the engine would break in properly.
I want that job, in a factory that produces high performance vehicles. I think I'd be great at it.....LOL!! :Racing:

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changed the oil in the Forte today at 1037 miles. When I poured the oil into my waste barrel for recycling, the filter screen with .03 inch holes filtered out fiber and metal bits:

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
Changed the oil in the Forte today at 1037 miles. When I poured the oil into my waste barrel for recycling, the filter screen with .03 inch holes filtered out fiber and metal bits:
That looks nasty!! What oil did you go with?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts