Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Vibrational resonance: when something in the car vibrates or rattles at a certain frequency of a song.

Every thing vibrates at its own frequency. Hit that object at the right frequency, or sound, and that object will vibrate, making noise.

A lot of “Scrubs” will install subs in their cars, hit the bass, and the whole thing rattles like a can of stones. These same scouns won’t take the time to fix the rattle, or even install sound-deadening material.

Please don’t be these people.

Back in the day, we had sound-sweeping CDs - when played, would play a sound starting at 20Hz, and take steps up to 20kHz to help find harmonic anomalies in the vehicle.

The problem with this is you couldn’t really isolate a frequency long enough to find and fix the problems. So, you had to start the CD over and over again...

Today, we have frequency generator apps:

These are perfect for isolating each individual harmonic that is causing vibrational problems in your sound system.

My Caliber’s natural harmonic is (I think) around 38Hz. When I send that frequency through the stereo, that individual frequency is LOUD - the natural resonance of the car increases the sound pressure of that frequency; the car becomes part of the speakers.

*When designing a subwoofer box for the car, I will want the subwoofers and box’s primary harmonic to be as close to 38Hz to get the most sound out of the car's natural harmonics.

With a frequency generator, you can test each frequency from 1Hz - 10Hz (best on square wave), up through 20kHz (best on sine wave, unless you like burning out amps on square\sawtooth\ramp waves).

While playing bass music (all hail Techmaster PEB), I find a lot of different rattles, but couldn’t figure out where the problem was because of the constantly changing music.

Being able to use just one frequency at a time, makes it a whole lot easier. Try 20Hz, then 21, 22, 23...

Then, at 40Hz;

I found that two lights on my rear emergency strobes were not attached to their frame correctly and were vibrating when the music played.

After tightening the screws, the sound went away. Now I can continue climbing up frequencies to find any other unwanted noises.

So. When installing a sound system and\or subs, download the app and take the time to make your Caliber as clear as possible. Not like a can full of rocks hobbling down the road.

And sit up straight. Eat your veggies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just got done. The box I got off craigslist that happened to fit perfect (even the angle of rear seats) is tuned to 32 hz. Working on infrasonic filter settings for 34hz. Excuse the wiring, the first amp I had (Topstronggear 1500.1d) went out in a week and the wiring was fitted around that. Luckily amazon gave me my money back and I went with a rockville M3 4000w(1200w rms) I like your gas cap and rear tailgate matte black, where can I cop?

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your box and head-unit look shweet!

The gas cap, locking gas cap door, was for a Chevy (I think) truck. This would be an upgrade: https://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Ridge-11229-04-Stainless-Locking/dp/B00390RKVA/

I had to cut and drill the original area to be able to mount the door, then used black caulking to seal it from the 7:00 position to the 5:00 position, leaving a space in the bottom for vapour or fuel spills.

The rear tailgate area was originally the same colour of the car, but the paint flaked off (all of it) after an aggressive power wash. So I sanded it and painted it with bedliner. It's a bullet proof paint job now. Almost every black accented part on the car is spray on bedliner - the grille, racing stripe, mirrors, door handles, even inside the spare tire area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice, I'll check out that fuel door. Do you know the cheapest way to do a remote start? I know I need a chth2 harness I I do something like viper but there has to be like a $20 remote start kit... Amazon has red key fobs with 4 buttons for the dodge caliber, 2 for $14! Thanks for the love regarding my install, I'm stoked on it! Just installed the bass remote and it has a clip light! Put it right next to the cigarette lighter outlet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update: I found it! My infrasonic/subsonic filter just needed to be set to about 12 o'clock. Now let's hope I didn't damage the sub cuz I think it x mech'd at some point when my Chinese android head unit high and low pass filter jumped because they are reversed. Glad I figured it out tho.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts