Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 08 caliber rt and it has an extended crank when cold. in the morning, after it sits all night, there is an extended crank. it only happens when it sits and its cold out. my local dodge shop says it is either the computer or the fuel pump. they say they have to test it while the issue is occurring so i can either pick it up and wait for it to happen or let it stay there. any suggestions on how they should test this, should they call the help line and get approval to throw a part at it under warranty.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Turn the key to "ON", but do not crank. Count to 15 and then crank it. If it starts immediately; then the fuel pump is the issue. If you still have the extended crank; then the crankshaft position sensor and/or the camshaft position sensors are possibly the issue.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Wonder if the ungodly cold weather had anything to do with it?

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
i wish, unfortunately it happened before that as well.
It's your fuel pump. The check valve has either failed, or the pump is weak and takes time to get the fuel rail primed with fuel. I seriously doubt it's the computer, but wouldn't surprise me if the stealership replaces it too so they can soak you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So somehow with the wonderful (sarcasm there) warranty from AUL, the tipm isn't covered. The dealer was unable to figure out 100% what the problem is so now im thinking about just replacing both the pump and tipm myself. Any suggestions on good places to get them for an inexpensive price?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts