Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, next month is a 3 pay month for me, which means a free paycheck to do whatever i want with. plan to add on my sxt and had a few questions.

1st: i was definatly going to get a cai, but wondering is there any real difference between the k&n and mopar cais? (besides price) is one truly better than the other? is 1 actually that much louder than the other??

2nd: exhausts... i noticed the magnaflow is around $300, give or take $50, and the mopar is in the $600-$700 area. also that the magnaflow has 1 exhaust tip where the mopar has 2... is one better than the other?

3rd: regardless of the exhaust i decide on, should i also get the exhaust headers?

thanks

Reactions: David Young

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
I got the Mopar c.a.i. first. Everyone was saying their k&n was very loud, so i thought a metal tube might be quieter. Not loud at all until you get on it, then very loud. A week later i got a magnaflow exhaust system. In everyday driving i just hear a slight exhaust sound. Performance was pretty good. My 0 to 60 times (with a stop watch) went from high 10's to low 10's. Around two weeks later i got the Mopar header. This was icing on the cake. My 0 to 60 times are in the mid 9's to high 9's. The header must have enhanced the c.a.i. and exhaust. I have more low end and high end torque. I feel like i'm giving the Caliber 1/8th of an inch less gas pedal at all speeds.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
also i have noticed that people seem to think the sound of the K&N got better with the exhaust added, and if your doing the exhaust you might as well do the header, it only makes sense otherwise you have crap flow from the motor then all of a sudden this nice exhaust, and the header allows you to take full advantage of the less restrictive exhaust and the added air coming in from the intake is much easy to get out as well.

The big thing you are paying for with the mopar stuff is the name, K&N makes great products and magnaflow makes amazing exhaust systems, there really isnt a reason to spend so much extra just to get the mopar name, unless like david you prefer the sound of one over the other, there are videos around the forum that has the intake and exhaust sounds so you can get a bit of an idea of the different products.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, as far as i know, the header would have to be mopar, and i may be able to get the mopar exhaust for under $500, but if there is no difference, then the magnaflow should be fine (and cheaper). the cai is the major question for me.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
The K&N c.a.i. has a box around the air filter. The Mopar c.a.i. doesn't. The K&N is made out of plastic, the Mopar is made out of metal. Some people call the Mopar c.a.i. a h.a.i. (Hot air intake) because it doesn't have the box around the air filter. The way i look at it is they are both h.a.i.. The only way for them to be real c.a.i. is to be connected to a functional hood scoop. The little vent slot on the battery box cover isn't going to bring in all that much cold air. The Mopar c.a.i. cost more than the K&N. I think K&N makes the Mopar c.a.i.. Alot of forum members say their K&N c.a.i. are loud. I took my 76 year old Dad shopping the other day. He didn't notice anything different about the sound. (i didn't tell him i put well over a thousand dollars in my new Caliber). In everyday driving there is no extra sound. Around, 2500 to 3500 rpm, there is alittle extra sound, but not loud. When i floor it, its very loud (its like the trumpets from Heaven blowing, or the gates of hell opening, it depends on how you look at it), very loud. I like it like that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i think your only choice is mopar for the header. sounds like a tossup for the cai. as for the exhaust, no clue yet...i'll save about $100-$150 with the magnaflow, and the mopar appears to be a dual exhaust setup, and since i have no clue on which would be of more benefit, no clue which to get.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
I got my header from www.wyckoffmoparparts.com it cost $310.03 with shipping added. I saw one from DC sports. The picture they showed looked like the one from Mopar. I think they are all made the same. No header i have found is claiming more horsepower or more torque gain, over other brands, so they all must be made to the same specifications

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
ashram,
The Mopar exhaust is very nice. I didn't want dual exhaust, so i went with the Magnaflow. Some people will say, you will get more horsepower out of the Mopar exhaust because it has dual outlets (more flow). If you look at the Mopar exhaust system you will see it has a bulging place on the exhaust pipe, before the muffler. This is a resonator, its like a pre-muffler. I think this evens up the exhaust flow, when compared to eachother. The Magnaflow is all clear pipe until the muffler. I checked several local muffler shops. One muffler shop wanted almost $600.00 installed. I found one that charged $439.00 tax and installed. I chose that one. So check around on prices. I think it's up to you. Do you want dual or single outlets. Might have to do some cutting on the rubber bumper.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
hmm.... didn't think about the need to cut into the bumper. also, i don't think i've seen a single caliber online with the mopar exhaust.

edit: just found pics on this very forum
http://www.caliberforumz.com/showpost.php?p=1061&postcount=4
so that's what the mopar set look like, no cutting needed.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Isis has one on her Caliber, Ginger. She has step by step instructions on how to put the Mopar exhaust system on. She even shows you how to cut out the rubber bumper. She has a movie of her doing a drive by, with the exhaust system and Mopar c.a.i.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the heads up. i actually like the look of the dual headers.....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
so it looks like i may just get the mopar exhaust (may have to order today to get it below $500) and then i'll order the header and cai 1st week of feb.... still not sure as to which cai, but i'll figure something out.

correction, just ordered the exhaust....

·
Registered
535 Posts
ashram,
The Mopar exhaust is very nice. I didn't want dual exhaust, so i went with the Magnaflow. Some people will say, you will get more horsepower out of the Mopar exhaust because it has dual outlets (more flow). If you look at the Mopar exhaust system you will see it has a bulging place on the exhaust pipe, before the muffler. This is a resonator, its like a pre-muffler. I think this evens up the exhaust flow, when compared to eachother. The Magnaflow is all clear pipe until the muffler. I checked several local muffler shops. One muffler shop wanted almost $600.00 installed. I found one that charged $439.00 tax and installed. I chose that one. So check around on prices. I think it's up to you. Do you want dual or single outlets. Might have to do some cutting on the rubber bumper.
i knew nothing about cars and I installed my cai, header, and exhaust. With great ease. I think the exhaust is the easiest to install out of the three.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
I installed my c.a.i. and header myself. I ordered the Magnaflow exhaust for a local muffler shop. It was $400.00 installed, plus $38.00 tax. I couldn't find a price much cheaper than that anywhere. Plus, they got rid of my old muffler, and exhaust pipes.

musiccwg,
Did you notice a lot of extra performance like i did?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just wanted to say that I am still just loving my Mopar cai and exhaust to the max!
Even when I am just warming up Ginger for a few minutes and getting ready for work, I can hear a deep, resonate sound inside my house and when I hop in my car, I know I'm in for a fun ride to work! I sometimes even take the long way home 'cause my Caliber is a joy to drive!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well, my exhaust is sitting in my living room, and i have to wait till thursday to order the cai and headers... i can't wait!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts