Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the ETC. The light come on the yesterday and after it did it would jump when i was trying to accelerate then it leveled out then did it again. Its at the dealer right now gettting fixed, im so mad!!!!! two months and i have this problem. I hope they find whats wrong with it.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Why would you be mad? 2 months and this is the only issue? The car is still under warranty, and likely just something simple like a sensor. Save being mad when something major in your life goes wrong.;)

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I'd say 90% of new car owners get pretty ticked when something goes wrong with their car. If this is the first thing to go wrong, don't sweat it. If multiple things start happening, then I'd get explosive. (just me). . .

But you have to keep in mind, that this is a first year product and there are going to be things that go wrong, break, malfunction, etc. That is the price you pay for buying first year product. Not that it is WRONG to to that. Just be ready for bugs to pop up.

Hopefully you have a great dealer who is ready to step up and handle your issues without giving you a run around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good luck

The ETC light on my car came on while going 70 mph and the car just shut down. After manuvering to the right shoulder and coming to a stop I was able to start the engine again. I took it to the dealer and they took it for a drive and it was fine. So they gave it back to me and they said there was nothing they could do.

·
Dodge Caliber Forums
1,295 Posts
Yes, my ETC light came on & the car bucked just like yours. Got to the dealer & he said another Caliber had the the same problem. He had driven over mountain passes & the electronic chip interpreted the fuel-air ratio as wrong & reset it when he returned to lower altitude. Well, that is just what happened to me. I'd gone over 2 4000' passes & 1 3100' foot pass. It started bucking when I returned to lower altitude. My problem was resolved really quick & my Caliber is smooth as before. Good luck. Grace & peace to all readers

G

·
Hi my names Mike and this is my first post here. Picked up my wifes car last week (r/t awd) and this morning driving to work her ETC light came on along with the traction control light, I had here pull off the road and shut it down wait a couple seconds and restart, she said it was fine. Have not had a chance to call the dealer yet was wondering what the outcome was on this type of situations.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Mike,

I took it to the dealer and they said there wasnt anything wrong with it and the computer didnt have any codes. So I got it back even though i know the light came on. But so far nothing and I havent had any problems since so I wish you luck and welcome to the forum

G

·
Thanks for the come back, wifes car go's in thursday to get checked out and get the sealent package put on. We will find out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
having the same problem

Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the ETC. The light come on the yesterday and after it did it would jump when i was trying to accelerate then it leveled out then did it again. Its at the dealer right now gettting fixed, im so mad!!!!! two months and i have this problem. I hope they find whats wrong with it.
Hi, I'm having the same problem with my '07 caliber. Just wondering if it was a sensor or something simple to fix. I've taken it to the dealer and they found nothing wrong with it, it ran fine for a month then started jumping again. Thanks.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Hi, I'm having the same problem with my '07 caliber. Just wondering if it was a sensor or something simple to fix. I've taken it to the dealer and they found nothing wrong with it, it ran fine for a month then started jumping again. Thanks.
I had it after descending from San Bernadino to LA back in '06. Shutting the car off for 5 minutes cleared the issue. Happened once again, but after having the 18-031-07 TSB applied, it's never done it again. Others have seen the problem, and other problems go away once this TSB was done. I suggest if you have never had the TSB that updates the computer, you should have it done.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never found out what the issue was with the car. I have had for 3 years now and haven't had any issues since..well except lost all my coolant on the free way and almost blew the motor due to a leaking radiator cap...
I would do the TSB unpates that is most likely your best bet

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
How do you get 18-031-07 TSB applied??
Take it to the dealer and have the software updated to the latest. If you're out of warranty, it's on your dime, though. This is why it's important to keep up with all the TSBs while still under warranty.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
How much does the dealer ship charge for the TSB update to sensor?
That's something you should ask your dealer. The labor rate can be as low as $56 and as high as $150. You'll only know for sure by asking the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had the dealer replace my ETC unit on my 2007 Caliber SXT after finding a fault.All is well now.No more glitchy throttle response.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Greetings,
I'm at the dealership now having the car looked at. The ETC light came on during my morning commute. The weird thing is that unless that light is on they can't help me. I have been trying for over a year to have the stars align with the ETC light on and a dealership willing to check the light. I'll post the results later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
alright guys, i have a 2007 caliber 1.8L dohc. the ETC keeps coming on, i dont have the money to take to a garage. can anyone tell what might be kicking it on? and if so where the sensor or what it may be is located? i cant even get it out of second gear. please and thank you :)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Calibers are very sensitive to potential electrical gremlins.
First off seeing it's a 2007 do you still have the original battery?
If so have you taken the time clean posts and terminals?

My '07 did that when after 5 yrs the battery was giving up.
By cleaning the terminals you will also have reset the TIPM
which controls all the electrical systems on the CanBus
control.

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
i cant even get it out of second gear. please and thank you :)
Welcome, introduce yourself in Newbies and complete your profile. Your comment makes no sense.

If you cannot shift out of second you would have a serious transmission impact or failure.

If you had a CVT you would not have a second gear.

Are you saying you cannot accelerate enough to warrant a shift to 3rd?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts