Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post so please pardon my introduction.

Like many others buying their first car I have made some stupid mistakes of solely relying on clean Carfax report and general checkup report from a mechanic and not going over throughly myself before making a purchase. Turns out that the car started off as a rental car with zero options added and any minor damage was repaired cheaply with aftermarket parts with cash thus no record was left behind for this idiot to find out. For that I have been paying my lack of knowledge on used cars by reading and googling through for a few years, including this forum, for advices on various problems ever since I bought my anything but cute Caliber. I have experienced overheating tranny in the middle of hot summer Californian highway, limp mode right after replacing a faulty one-eyed TIPM, and engine chocking on fuel ever time after topping up, which all of them have made my heart skip a beat. Now it being a DD and new car prices sky rocketing, I am just focusing on bringing this what my mother calls tin can (to be fair, she drives a MB SUV) back to original as much as possible within a reasonable budget, with some OEM options that could have been added rather than selling this baby off for a first new car.

Anyways, on to the question. From what I have gathered is that for the Calibers with ESP options, the ABS module communicates with the ESP module to enable traction control on top of ABS itself. And all Calibers, regardless of trims and options, have exactly the same wire harnesses spread throughout the body. So if the car does have wires and connector for the ESP module minus the module itself, can ESP be enabled simply by plugging in the module? Has anyone in the past have done it before?
The reason I want to add ESP when a number of owners in the past wanted to turn it off for more fun is my Cali is an AWD and without traction control, I felt it would always be half-assed AWD and less safe. Besides, even with Autostick and detent pedal, Cali with CVT is not meant to be exciting and fun anyways, right?

·
Super Moderator
12,440 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AWD ? Autostick ? Do you have the 2.4 R/T. ESP is standard fitment.

Optional on the SXT. Systems on the Caliber usually have to be programmed by the dealer to be recognised.

Interesting. Mine does not have the ESP Off button, and 07 brochure states ESP is an option to SXT and R/T trims so I assumed mine did not have one.

I will double check behind the dash tomorrow and and see if the module exists.🤞

·
Super Moderator
12,440 Posts
Next to the Heated Drivers Seat button, is yours just a blank piece?

·
Super Moderator
12,440 Posts
Murca eh? They really strip down to load option pricing

I found the ESP package

Security Group — Includes Electronic Stability Program,
supplemental front-seat mounted side air bags, security
alarm and daytime running lamps; engine oil cooler
and trailer tow wiring harness on SXT and R/T; rearview
auto-dimming mirror and uconnect gps on R/T and SRT4;
uconnect phone on SRT4

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a quick follow up.

Hood Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle Fixture

Dynamics sensor for ESP not present. (Empty spot behind Occupant Restraint Control module)

Automotive design Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Auto part Vehicle

ESP Off button also not present. :confused:

I do not have the tools to open up dashboard ATM but if it is possible to add ESP, I would definitely like to give it a try.

·
Registered
261 Posts
...if it is possible to add ESP, I would definitely like to give it a try.
The cheap option is to go to a junkyard and pull the module, button, harnesses, yaw sensors, steering angle sensor and anything else you need off of a car that already has it installed, and then install it on your car.

Will it work? Maybe. It is possible that you install all these items, and they fit and plug in perfectly, but you find that it does not work because the ECU is not enabling it, so some other part is preventing it from working.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Buenas el sensor de angulo de Reloj de giro no lo llevan todos los modelos. Este modulo se vende con opcion ESP o sin el. Despues que el modelo disponga de ABS ya que trabaja conjuntamente. Y por ultimo el boton de desconexion del ESP ya que si hay nieve y ponemos las cadenas iremos haciendo saltar el ESP todo el tiempo.

Saludos.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for the late reply. I was away from home for a while and I didn't have any tools on hand to do any work on my car.
As for the modules related to ESP, turns out that the wiring harness is missing all the connectors to plug the modules in. So my small quest of an easy plug-and-play installation without stripping down all the trims has come to an end for now.
Maybe someday if I manage to find the wiring harness, I may restart collecting parts to see if it can be done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts