Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on upgrading my engine but it almost has 200K Miles on it. I was wondering if I should upgrade the engine or swap it out?

Take Note: If I swap out the engine I don't obviously want to get a new factory engine. I want to do a hardcore swap that will increase RPM's and HORESPOWER beyond exponential levels of excitement. I'm not to modify or do any major body mods to my vehicle. So for this post I just want legit ideas with a list of things I gotta do to reach that level.

Also another thing my vehicle is a 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT 2.0L 4 Cylinder Front Wheel Drive.

That being said I know this will be a big project so maybe you can help make my dream car come back to life!

·
Registered
545 Posts
The World Engine used in the Caliber are reliable engines, though not really upgradeable in terms of performance modifications. If your 2.0 is still running well I'd say leave it alone.

Even if you chose to source a 2.4L engine you might very well have to replace the engine computers with it, and for the ~20 extra HP you'd see it's probably not worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that's a debatable argument. Cause what I mean by an engine swap is to get a better engine any engine that will fit not just the 1.8L 2.0L 2.4L engines. I really wanna upgrade it with a different engine. I'm not worried about cost because I could a brand new 2.0 engine for $400 fully assembled and to buy the trans with it $600 tops brand new. I get deals pretty easy. So I'm not cost effective by any means.

I was doing research and was trying to see if I could fit possibly an 6 or 8 cylinder engine in my car. With three effect of getting a new mount, ECU, etc. Plus I wanna upgrade my cooling system with a swap of a racing cooling system I got a deal on for close to $350. I just can't find a good or reasonable blueprint systematically to get the job done without extending the front engine bay. Its difficult findings.

I was also looking at twin turbo for my car and I got a 50% discount on $1000 full kit. Sho I was pretty happy. I just want that horsepower and speed. And remember with every action there's an equal to opposite reaction. Newton's Law of motion. So I did research in that to figure out what ties I should get.

My current factory spoiler has a bullet hole through it clear circle. So I'm looking for a racing spoiler as well.

I know will take allot of time and money but at the end of the project I'm gonna be happy with myself and you guys for helping me.

·
Super Moderator
12,089 Posts
You are not likely to see much help from the Caliber community as has been said they are not modifiable..
As you are planning to use a stripped donor body shell for your own powertrain and controllers the donor forums may be more appropriate. Caliber power heads seek out SRT4s.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently had my motor built with bigger valves, port and polishes head, 60 over pistons, added cold air intake, exhaust header, strut bar, poly subframe mounts, poly control arms, coilovers, and camber arms. also added bands to my cvt belt and had the cones coated. i also added an 11-drive throttle controller. the car drives like new again but i dont really feel much improvement, i cant tune the engine because of the cvt so my gains are really minimal. its bulletproof now and sounds fantastic but still a pig. i cna finally do a burnout with my wide 18" wheels but that lower end torque is all ive really gained. the cvt at 200 torque is a killer. my next step would be mating an srt manual trans to my motor, add turbo and run a standalone computer and full custom wiring for all the interior stuff. im ok with this but it means tearing it all down again and a lot more time and money will need to be invested in my 3500 dollar 07 caliber sxt. im a heavy "built not bought" kinda guy so the (over) 10k ive spent in parts in the last 4 years of owning my car is acceptable to me. i will say im frustrated by my transmission and computer systems limits. maybe ill be willing to spend the many days building harnesses in a few months or so to get the most out of this car. i love it and it is my daily (my other car is a 20psi boosted nissan 3.0 v6 rear wheel drive 1998 honda civic coupe). i recommend to anyone wanting to put time and effort into this car to do custom suspension and go with another engine and trans platform. if i could start over id start with a full custom setup using something like a front wheel drive sr20det mated to a manual transmission with completely custom subframe and suspension. i could do all that for probably half the cost ive spent to have this still slow fully built setup ive got.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The only computers that are tunable are the SRT4's. Find a JY srt and art there.

The canbus TIPM electrical system is ****ing garbage and unless you're going to rewire the whole car stand alone then your paddling up **** Creek without a paddle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts