Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Im new in the forum :) ! I have Dodge Caliber SXT 2008. When i turn the key to start the car it takes like 2/3 secs to start the engine. I feel like thats not how it should be since its a petrol car not diesel and petrol engine should start a lot easier ( i guess) ? Im about to check the sparking plugs in the next days but just want to ask in advance what else it could be since i will work on the car so if its not the plugs what else i can check ? I will be so thankful for your replies ! :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Before starting, are you giving the car a few seconds to initiate, and to build up fuel pressure?

Clogged fuel filter, failing pump, I can’t remember if there’s a relay for the pump...

Have you scanned for error codes?

Any issues once the car is running/driving?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to NOT give the car time to initiate but i started recently so ill keep an eye on it. Tomorrow ill check the spark plugs if they are ok. Is the fuel filter “in” the fuel pump

·
Registered
73 Posts
My first guess will be fuel line leak. Even tiny one that is not dripping fuel is enough to let air into fuel line and delay engine start.

I don't think this is fuel filter or fuel pump. Clogged filter or failing pump would cause stalling and lack of power on higher engine load.

So air in fuel line is my bet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My first guess will be fuel line leak. Even tiny one that is not dripping fuel is enough to let air into fuel line and delay engine start.

I don't think this is fuel filter or fuel pump. Clogged filter or failing pump would cause stalling and lack of power on higher engine load.

So air in fuel line is my bet.
Thank you for your replies ! The past few days im doing some testings and soon there will be some update 🙂

·
Registered
257 Posts
I’m going to agree with bbkr on this, too.

Would a bad injector, not sealing closed, also let air into the line? Is that possible? How would one find a leak without a fuel drip?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just fixed my title since i have two issues with the car at the moment while writhing this treat i were thinking for both of them and mixed the titles...
SO like i mentioned - the car does not start the engine how it supposed to do so. Cold start its even worst - the engine will start and then will turn off... pushing the gas pedal ... dont know how to explain in English.. sounds like pushing the gas pedal doesnt "accelerate" the engine but "drowning" it (i hope that makes sense)
Ive checked the spark plugs but they look very good.
Couldnt do anything with the injectors since right now i dont have the proper stuff to clean them but soon ill do "hydrogen cleaning" (at least this how it sounds in my country) and i rly hope this will help ...
Ive tried to check the oxygen sensors but damn ... i cant unscrew them. Ive tried to remove them because in internet i read that if they are bad they are giving wrong oxygen info to the car and this is causing wrong fuel burning but like i said i couldnt remove them but i detached their cables so they dotn send wrong info to the cars computer but that didnt help...
Ive also cleaned the throttle body which wasnt so bad compare to the videos ive watched in youtube.
So right now my last hope is that Hydrogen engine cleaning... Meanwhile i will check the fuel pump and filter conditions just in case... If you someone has more suggestions im ready to check them too :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
One thing you could do is to install a fuel pressure gauge on your fuel line to see if you're losing pressure when the car sits overnight or if the fuel pump isn't providing enough pressure.

If the car is cold and you start it (after it takes several seconds before firing), what happens if you shut off the car and immediately try to start it again? Does it still take several seconds or does it fire immediately?

As for the oxygen sensors the car's engine computer will NOT like it if your sensors are unplugged. The proper way to diagnose a bad sensor is to connect a scan tool to the car and look at the graphs of the sensors in operation but a faulty sensor should cause the check engine light to come on with an appropriate error code.

You said that when you press the accelerator pedal the car sounds like it's bogging down. Lots of reasons why this might happen but one culprit could be a partially plugged catalytic converter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One thing you could do is to install a fuel pressure gauge on your fuel line to see if you're losing pressure when the car sits overnight or if the fuel pump isn't providing enough pressure.

If the car is cold and you start it (after it takes several seconds before firing), what happens if you shut off the car and immediately try to start it again? Does it still take several seconds or does it fire immediately?

As for the oxygen sensors the car's engine computer will NOT like it if your sensors are unplugged. The proper way to diagnose a bad sensor is to connect a scan tool to the car and look at the graphs of the sensors in operation but a faulty sensor should cause the check engine light to come on with an appropriate error code.

You said that when you press the accelerator pedal the car sounds like it's bogging down. Lots of reasons why this might happen but one culprit could be a partially plugged catalytic converter.
Thank you for your reply Chris. If i shut off the car before it actually firing and then i start it again its firing better but still not immediate and if its cold start its still rising and dropping rpms few times like 4/5/6 times.
About the bogging down im planning to go and have the car checked also i do have check engine light (few years already) and last time when i had the car checked they said the check engine is because some error on the A/C. They deleted it and then it came back but anyway i want them to check it again and to check the catalytic converter especially.
Also after cleaning the throttle body which wasnt so bad at all i noticed that the car is slightly better :? Ill try to get the car checked tomorrow and will keep you updated all in case someone has the same issue. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts