Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to this site and I'm using it on my phone so I have no clue if I am posting this right because my phone is running so slow but... I have a 2007 Dodge caliber * w. about 120,000 miles.... about a month ago I drove somewhere that is about 15 miles away from my house... once I got to my destination a loud knock was coming from what I would guess would be the engine. after I finished my errands I prayed to God and drove it home thinking the engine was going to blow at any second. luckily, the car made it back to my house without breaking down. the knock was LOUD and not as noticeable past 60mph... I don't know a thing about cars. all's I know is... it is my parents car that I was driving on a daily basis for about 3months before this happened. the oil light came on when it happened... and about 4 days before this happened I threw a quart of oil in it cuz the llight turned on... when I did that it turned of and stayed off til the day the knocking started. I have No clue when the car had its last oil change. my parents are notorious for not changing the oil in their cars... and it hadn't had one in the 3months I drove it so I'm guessing it went 10-15000 miles without one before the knocking started... maybe more.I just want to get some type of knowledgeable opinion before doing anything w.the car. it hasn't been driven since... it still runs though... I was sure it was the engine about to blow, my dad insists that its possible it just might need an oil change, but as much as he wants to think he is, he isn't a car Guy, at all. also, the a/c doesn't work... don't know why or if that's relevent, just thought I'd add that in there. any helpful opinions, suggestions, or tips? please help!!!!

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Sounds like a neglected car. There are dozens of possibilities and only a good mechanic is going to be able to determine what all is wrong. No opinion over the internet is any good with out hands on. Take it to a mechanic and let us know what he says and we can help determine what is BS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1) Check the oil. If the knocking goes away when you added oil it was obviously low!
2) The oil must be going somewhere, does it leak it out?
3) If the oil hasn't been changed it the last 5000 miles get the oil and filer changed (although it won't fix the knocking).
4) Go from there..............if you continue to drive the car very low or without oil permanent damage to the engine will occur.

If it was an everyday driver not long ago something is going on.................

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a neglected car. There are dozens of possibilities and only a good mechanic is going to be able to determine what all is wrong. No opinion over the internet is any good with out hands on. Take it to a mechanic and let us know what he says and we can help determine what is BS.
It is a neglected car. I wasn't working during the time I was using it otherwise I would've did the regular maintenance myself. I always nagged my parents to get the oil changed cuz I knew something like this was bound to happen... as of right now though I don't have the money to bring it to a mechanic... and where I live there are so many. . but very few that are trustworthy so I wouldn't even know who to bring it to.... just wanted an opinion from somebody who has more knowledge and experience than I do. thanks for responding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1) Check the oil. If the knocking goes away when you added oil it was obviously low!
2) The oil must be going somewhere, does it leak it out?
3) If the oil hasn't been changed it the last 5000 miles get the oil and filer changed (although it won't fix the knocking).
4) Go from there..............if you continue to drive the car very low or without oil permanent damage to the engine will occur.

If it was an everyday driver not long ago something is going on.................

I added a quart before my drive home that day... the oil light did not turn off and it was in the safe zone... and the knocking didn't stop. its not leaking oil. I haven't driven it since then... I'm gonna change the oil and filter this week... I know it wont fix anything... but right now its the only thing I can do... when I was driving it I checked the oil regularly and it always drove fine.... I need a new car and if this ones worth fixing I want to sell UT... I know I wont get much for it in the condition its in now!!! I know in the end I'm going to end up having to bring it to a shop... but just wanted to get some knowledgeable advice before I do anything... thanks for responding!

·
Registered
152 Posts
You should stop driving the car immediately. If you continue, within a very short period of time you will likely end up causing severe damages to the internal components of your engine.

In the future you will want to stay on top of "regular" maintenance intervals as this will increase the life of your car. Adding oil is just putting a band aid on the issue. It appears to me that the car is probably due at the mechanics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.