Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My interior light was left on over night, when I got in the car it was still on-but very dim.. when I went to start the car, it sounded like it was trying to start- like a short bumping noise, than nothing..My headlights turn on- also dim.. and my radio and dash lights up.. I have been looking through other threads and was wondering if this light would come on if the battery just needed to be charged or am I looking at a bigger issue.. any help would be appreciated.. I have not attempted a boost yet, as I have no cables, but will be attempting it later this evening/tomorrow.. would like some advice before I do this, as I am not sure if it may cause issues if the problem is not the battery--- I have little knowledge about cars.. I can start, drive, change a tire and thats about it. thanks!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Welcome to the forumZ
Did you try charging your battery.
The interior lights take much power of it overnight.

Greetz Luke

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Ditto on the battery just being run down. If you have a way to charge it, do so and you'll probably be okay. If you're not sure about it, take it to a local parts store and have them check it out for you.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
There are instructions in the owner's manual for safely and properly jump starting the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.. I was reading all these other threads about the ETC light, and that part had me worried,, friend coming over to give me a boost tonight.. Cheers

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
This is purely a run down battery. It doesn't take much with the power draw on this car to run it down, especially now that the cold weather has set in. Have someone give you a jump to start it. Have the donor car off when you connect the batteries. Once the connections are made, let both cars sit connected for at least 15 minutes before attempting to start yours. This will wake your battery up some. Start your car and then let it charge the battery for several minutes, then take it for a good drive to put a good charge in it. This is assuming you don't have a charger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Brad. So you recomend having both cars powered off when the cables are connected? than start the donor car? or just leave them both sitting turned off? Just want to confirm as this is a bit different than what I was told to do.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Thanks Brad. So you recomend having both cars powered off when the cables are connected? than start the donor car? or just leave them both sitting turned off? Just want to confirm as this is a bit different than what I was told to do.
No, do not ever start the donor car. I've seen people burn the charging system and fry the PCM on a car because it was overloaded by a dead car. That's why the safest way is to let the donor battery give the dead battery a charge for at least 15 minutes, then start the car that had the dead battery. These new cars aren't as forgiving as cars use to be.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Actually you are better off removing the battery and having it charged. Even if you get a boost/ jumpstart this is not going to keep your battery charged. It is not in the design of an alternator to recharge a dead or low battery after having had the vehicle jumped. This is a sure way to end up killing your alternator. Be safe, take it out and have it put on a charger if you know someone who owns one or take it to autozone and they will charge it for FREE and usually only takes about an hour and they can also test to make sure that it is holding its charge once it is done. My two cents ....

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Actually, the voltage regulator in the alternator keeps the voltage to the battery at a level that prevents excess current from flowing into the battery during charge.
Quick (1 hr charges) may not be so good for your battery.
Get a small (few amp) charger and use that overnight to restore the battery.
It could take a couple of hours of driving to get a high state of charge in the battery from the alternator.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Actually you are better off removing the battery and having it charged. Even if you get a boost/ jumpstart this is not going to keep your battery charged. It is not in the design of an alternator to recharge a dead or low battery after having had the vehicle jumped. This is a sure way to end up killing your alternator. Be safe, take it out and have it put on a charger if you know someone who owns one or take it to autozone and they will charge it for FREE and usually only takes about an hour and they can also test to make sure that it is holding its charge once it is done. My two cents ....
I agree to a point. The idea of using the donor battery to bring the dead battery back some isn't my idea. It was recently in Popular Mechanics. That 15 minutes brings the battery back enough that the alternator can handle the charging. Oh, and I did forget. The article said when driving around to charge the battery, keep as many accessories off as possible. But you are right, still the best way is a charger. I wouldn't be without one. The one I have is just a small one and would take all night to charge a battery, but it's saved me a few times. It was able to warm a battery in my truck back in Wisconsin on a morning when the temp was -37F allowing me to get to work. An hour late, but I made it.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
As a follow up to Brad's statement above:

My experience has been that unless you have the donor battery connected for several minutes before you attempt to crank the car with the dead battery, the dead car usually won't even crank (too much resistance in the booster cables)

·
Registered
401 Posts
No, do not ever start the donor car. I've seen people burn the charging system and fry the PCM on a car because it was overloaded by a dead car. That's why the safest way is to let the donor battery give the dead battery a charge for at least 15 minutes, then start the car that had the dead battery. These new cars aren't as forgiving as cars use to be.
Learning something new every day here .

thanks Brad .

Not to confuse you , but for all safety you could diconect the battery of your friends car and hook it up on yours to start.
Thats the way they started my car once after leaving the headlights on.

Greetz Luke

1 - 13 of 13 Posts