Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it's always been that way but looking at my car last night I noticed that the rear Driver's side is at least .5" lower than the Passenger side.
The ground to wheel arch on the driver's side is maybe 29.5" but on the passenger side the ground to wheel arch is over 30" I checked my garage floor with a level and it's dead on so I know it's not uneven.

The car only has 4,000kms on it.
It can't be a blown shock already can it?

Is there anything else it can be.
I hear that the rear suspension on these cars can only adjust the tow-in /out but not camber or caster.

Is this something I should just live with or get it checked?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm certainly no expert on cars. But if it bothers you, get it checked out. That's what warranties are for.

On my 2010 Mainstreet there is about an 1/8" difference in the gap on each side of the trunk. I had the dealer look at it and they're going to fix it under warranty. I figure it should have been caught by QC.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Cars settle at different rates when siting, and weight shifts around. I don't know of many cars that sit perfectly level all the time. I've got a new Kia Forte with 800 miles and noticed the other day that the driver's side was lower. Last night when I looked at it, it was level. I wouldn't worry about 1/2". When it gets to being 2", then it would be something to worry about.

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
Shocks don't adjust the ride height, it would be your springs that would be the culprit.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Are the tires evenly inflated? A very low tire can cause that corner of the car to sit lower. Check your pressure with a good gauge before you leave for the morning. Best pressure for a Caliber is about 35 psig all around the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya all the tires are the same PSI, 36 from the dealership since the day I got it. That's the first thing I checked.

I went for a drive on the weekend, heard a pop noise from the rear. At first I thought it was a flat tire, got out and inspected to make sure everything was ok. then I noticed that the left rear was lower than the other side. When I got home I checked all the tires and they were fine.

It seems now thought that the same side of the car that is lower, also seems to lean or dip more on that side when driving around right hand corners. Feels like a weak anti-sway bar. Maybe I am just being paranoid now.

Thanks for everyone's help

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Ya all the tires are the same PSI, 36 from the dealership since the day I got it. That's the first thing I checked.

I went for a drive on the weekend, heard a pop noise from the rear. At first I thought it was a flat tire, got out and inspected to make sure everything was ok. then I noticed that the left rear was lower than the other side. When I got home I checked all the tires and they were fine.

It seems now thought that the same side of the car that is lower, also seems to lean or dip more on that side when driving around right hand corners. Feels like a weak anti-sway bar. Maybe I am just being paranoid now.

Thanks for everyone's help
If you can, get under the car and take a look - compare left and right suspension components and their orientation. If something doesn't look right - go to the dealer under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You for sure have a blown strut man. Get it on a jack and look for the fluid leaking from the struts. You should get it replaced if your able to do it yourself. If not it's not going to cost alot for the labor.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
You for sure have a blown strut man. Get it on a jack and look for the fluid leaking from the struts. You should get it replaced if your able to do it yourself. If not it's not going to cost alot for the labor.
A blown strut usually won't change ride height. The car is supported by the springs. The hydraulic portion of the strut "damps" the spring's motion for a smoother ride.
Low tire, broken spring, bent suspension component, uneven ground usually are the main causes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts