Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, is the mileage of 124 274 miles for the Dodge Caliber 2.4l 295km from 2008 a lot or not to be afraid?

·
Registered
Dodge Calibre SXT Sport CRD
36 Posts
Depends on what you consider an average yearly mileage plus the car is 12 years old. Here in the UK the average can easily be between 10/12,000 miles a year add that to 12 years of driving (120/144,000 miles). At theses ages what is more important about the car, is the overall condition of the car, mechanically sound? no rust? no accident damage? electrics all working? and a big paper trail of service history with all receipts that can be verified. Good luck

·
Registered
67 Posts
124k miles is a lot for a non-SRT4 Caliber if the Caliber has the CVT transmission. Don't ever buy a car with a CVT transmission, they are crap.

124k miles is not much for a non-SRT4 Caliber with a manual transmission. The manual transmissions in these cars seem to be durable.

124k miles is questionable for an SRT4 Caliber (Turbo). Could be fine, could be a huge nightmare. Given the extra horsepower, the car may have been run pretty hard. If the car had the engine tuned or otherwise modified for more power, stay away. At a minimum, get the following:

1. Cooling system leak down test
2. Cylinder leak down test
3. Cylinder compression test
4. Turbo boost leak test
5. Cooling system exhaust gas test

If all this and the rest of a pre-purchase inspection comes back with excellent results, then you can consider buying the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
124k miles is a lot for a non-SRT4 Caliber if the Caliber has the CVT transmission. Don't ever buy a car with a CVT transmission, they are crap.

124k miles is not much for a non-SRT4 Caliber with a manual transmission. The manual transmissions in these cars seem to be durable.

124k miles is questionable for an SRT4 Caliber (Turbo). Could be fine, could be a huge nightmare. Given the extra horsepower, the car may have been run pretty hard. If the car had the engine tuned or otherwise modified for more power, stay away. At a minimum, get the following:

1. Cooling system leak down test
2. Cylinder leak down test
3. Cylinder compression test
4. Turbo boost leak test
5. Cooling system exhaust gas test

If all this and the rest of a pre-purchase inspection comes back with excellent results, then you can consider buying the car.
Thanks for the answer. Nothing has been changed in the car, the power and the rest is standard. Unfortunately, the car is located in a different country than I live, so I cannot check the parameters you wrote about and if he decides to buy it, it will be brought to me by the person who is there. Better to give up or take a risk?

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you can't have a good mechanic perform a thorough inspection of the car prior to purchase, then personally I wouldn't take the risk. My 2010 Caliber only has 98K miles and I've taken the best care of it that I can but it's rusting out and developing other issues as it ages.

Also keep in mind that the SRT4 Caliber uses a different manual transmission than the non-SRT Calibers so be careful what you base manual transmission reliability on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you can't have a good mechanic perform a thorough inspection of the car prior to purchase, then personally I wouldn't take the risk...
I agree. Get a pre-purchase inspection, including the tests listed in my posts above. If you can't get the tests done, don't buy the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What country is the car for sale in? Don't need to worry about it having a CVT 2 gearbox as all SRT-4 came with only a 6 speed manual gearbox. As recommended a pre-purchase inspection by a company or trusted mechanic is a must as it's still a Dodge Caliber haha and they DO have issues at any age. Condition is EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What country is the car for sale in? Don't need to worry about it having a CVT 2 gearbox as all SRT-4 came with only a 6 speed manual gearbox. As recommended a pre-purchase inspection by a company or trusted mechanic is a must as it's still a Dodge Caliber haha and they DO have issues at any age. Condition is EVERYTHING.

The car is in switzerland, two mechanics will see it on Tuesday and we'll see what happens :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Fingers crossed then, hope its a great car. Let us know what the outcome is? Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fingers crossed then, hope its a great car. Let us know what the outcome is? Good luck
Well, I became the owner of the Dodge Caliber Srt4, the mechanics checked everything they could and luckily everything is fine, components, body and the rest in great condition, on Saturday I will have it at home; D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can you share how much you spent?

What are your plans for the car? Daily driver? Weekender? Track? Keep it stock? Modify?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. (y)... Do you have any pictures of your car?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you share how much you spent?

What are your plans for the car? Daily driver? Weekender? Track? Keep it stock? Modify?
Converting to dollars, I paid $ 8,765. As for my plans for this car, I think it will stay in the series for a while, later who knows, although I would like to install a conical air filter;D I will use the car on a daily basis

1 - 18 of 18 Posts