Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
I just finished doing my oil and spark plug change and here is a DIY on the process I created.

Total time: Approx 30 mins

Things you will need

-Oil of your choice (the car calls for 5W-20, I used Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-20)
-Oil filter (part numbers can be located throughout this site, I used WIX brand)
- Filter Wrench
-1/2” socket or wrench
-Socket Wrench
-3” socket extension (optional)
- 1 star/torx bit (not sure on the exact size)
-Car jack (if needed)
-2x Car stands (if jack needed)
-Drop pan

__OIL__

Before we start I usually like to warm the engine up a little I feel that it helps drain the most amount of fluid possible so you can either sit idle for a little while or go run a short errand.

Now before setting the car in park put it into “N” with your foot on the break activate the Emergency brake now put your car in park and pop the hood.

Now that we are ready to get started lets jack the car up a tad. *You may be able to do this without lifting the car but it allows for a bit more ease of access* (Refer to your Manuel for lift points ad always support your car with jack strands.)

Now that we have the car in the air and safe from moving we can comfortably get under it without being smashed.

Your oil pan and oil filter are near the front of the vehicle on the passenger side.

Here is a picture of the oil pan and plug from the back side.

And from the front

Now the plug (bolt) on the back side of the oil pan needs to come out. *CAUTION* if you warmed up your car this area and the oil coming from this area may be hot.

The plug is a ½” so with your wrench or socket break it loose do not remove it. Once the bolt is loose you can get it by hand make sure you place the drop pan under the plug so it can catch the oil.

From here I did my spark plugs but I will continue with just the oil change

After oil has stopped or started to slowly drip out and into the pan you can replace the plug. Again using your ½” socket tightens the plug hand tight. (Refer to your manual or specific torque guides. From Service Manual: Torque drain plug to 28 N·m (20 ft. lbs.). )

Now we will remove the oil filter. If you cannot remove the oil filter by hand use a filter wrench but be careful because some oil will leak out and may be hot. Pour the remaining oil out of the filter into your drop pan.

Now inspect where your filter was clean it of any old oil and debris. Make sure the rubber ring from the old filter is not stuck.

My rubber ring was stuck but I removed it before thinking about taking a picture so this is the ring I am talking about and the old filter.

As soon as everything is cleaned up grab the new filter and prime it. To prime the new filter pour some new oil into it with your finger spread the oil around the new rubber ring (gasket) and install.

The filter also has torque specifications but I put it on hand tight.

After you have the filter on you are ready to fill her up with approx 4.5qts of fresh oil. *Keep in mind you may have easily put .5qts into the filter.*

Do not put all the oil in at once I recommend pouring about ¾ the amount it calls for doing a check start and checking the dipstick. You can easily add more but it is a bit tricky removing more without repeating this entire process. If you do accidently add a hair to much oil no worries the car will burn it off with in time.

Now that you have the proper amount of fluid you can remove the jack stands and jack and go cruise around town.

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
Nice write up, should help out anyone who hasn't changed their own oil before. Good you mentioned about the gasket, that has happened to some people I know, that could cause some serious problems.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reps all.

And yes Glenn double gasketing the filter can cause some major havoc. Also if you are money conscious like many are these days you will be spending almost double the price to have it done in a shop compared to doing it yourself.

I did both plugs and oil at the same time even while taking pics it took me no more than 30 mins.

I honestly believe you can even do it without lifting your car since the filter and pan plug are so close to the front bumper.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts

I honestly believe you can even do it without lifting your car since the filter and pan plug are so close to the front bumper.
I never raised mine.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never raised mine.
When I started mine I just did it out of instinct lol. Once I had it up some I was like well never mind. But it did allow me to get some of the under car pics I was wanting to get

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Good Job & good pictures. The oil filter gasket does not get mentionned enough and you showed us exactly that very important step. :smileup:

Thank you! Rep when i can :goodpost7td:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know so many people that have double gasketed the filter without even knowing and it is just so easy to do yet so easy to overlook as well.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Reps for a good How-To for new DIY'ers. Well done! I don't raise mine either. My ramps hit the nose before it will climb them, and I found it's no problem to reach up from underneath.:smileup:

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I think it's time for me to hit the gym - it's a really tight squeeze for me to get under mine!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You might be able to reach it front right in front f the passenger front tire lol.

Kind of disappoints me that I could have done this without raising it though because my old jack broke so I ran out and bought a new one before I even started.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I don't have to raise mine either. I would if the drain plug was another 8 inches back though. I wouldn't be able to get my belly under it then! LOL

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
You might be able to reach it front right in front f the passenger front tire lol.

Kind of disappoints me that I could have done this without raising it though because my old jack broke so I ran out and bought a new one before I even started.
Using a jack to change oil isn't necessarily a good idea. It tilts the engine and therefore you don't drain all of the used oil.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sometimes DIY'ing on particular cars it is nessacary lol. Just a routine for me to be honest If ou think about it it would be smart to drain oil then lift the car on the opposite side the drain plug is on.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
I've always preferred ramps. Most of the time it doesn't take much. That's why I just screw 3- 2x8s together in a step pattern with a 2x2 as a stop. Most oil pans are situated so that with the car being on ramps, the oil drains very well.

·
Super Moderator
12,405 Posts
Using a jack to change oil isn't necessarily a good idea. It tilts the engine and therefore you don't drain all of the used oil.
It's a good idea to put the car on ramps to have a good look around the underneath to familiarise yourself.

For an oil change a jack with a safety stand ! to improve access could be useful to remove the plug, you can drop the car level while it's draining.

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts