Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have procedures to completely disable the steering column lock and the ignition key immobilizer (WCM) system?

I want to change over to a switch based system for powering and starting the car, no key needed (like a race car).

Also, the steering column lock is something of a hazard for my use of the car, so I'd like to completely remove that from car so it is not possible for the steering to lock.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My steering doesn't lock, and it pissed me off when I'm working on the alignment.

'08 R/T AWD

·
Registered
194 Posts
I modified an '88 Sundance to be keyless, two-switch startable, but that was decades ago.

I was looking at Youtube videos about the WIN (Wireless Ignition) module:

I'm guessing this is what is on my car (with no steering lock), which would be simple enough to unplug and figure out which wire does what, with the key turned in the different positions.

I think with my old Sundance, I found out which wires wanted power to run then just hooked them all together, then found the wire to the starter, putting that on a momentary (on)/off switch.

The locking steering would have been just removing the key lock mechanism, then moving something on the steering column, like what the key lock would normally move.

You probably already know about all this, though.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you just wanting to set this up like a race car?
Yes, it is a dedicated race car. Stripped interior, full cage, racing seat, fire suppression system...the works.

We had an on track incident during a practice session a few weeks ago where the driver accidentally hit the key which turned off the engine and locked the wheel while the car was on the track. No one was injured and the car is fine, but we need to make sure this does not happen again.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I found this, referring to a Cherokee:

If it's something that can be programmed out, maybe the same could be done at a dealer with the Calibers?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found this, referring to a Cherokee:

If it's something that can be programmed out, maybe the same could be done at a dealer with the Calibers?
Very interesting, I'll check it out. Thanks for digging this up!

In the mean time, the driver that had the on track incident with hitting the key and having it lock the wheel took matters into his own hands to ensure that will not happen again...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Uh...

Oh, I get it - just clamp visegrips on that and steer with the left hand. Then they won't bump a key.

What the hell is going on in that image‽ lol

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My car has a quick release steering wheel.

The pic below shows the steering wheel on and you can see that I relocated the entire lock assembly to the roll cage. There is now no chance of the driver accidentally hitting the key and turning off the car, and in any case the steering will never lock.

The relocation was easy and did not cause any ECU or other OBD codes. Total time for the relocation was under 30 minutes (starting with the interior already ripped out.)

I'm not sure if we will keep the key in that location. It is a good location in terms of driver reaching it to start the car and no chance of accidentally turning the car off, but I'm worried that it the key lock assembly is now outside the roll cage and could be damaged in an accident.... I will look into other locations. Suggestions are welcome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts