Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2007 caliber SXT 2.0. I recently replaced my alternator and battery and serp belt. Along with many other parts. The alternator and battery were replaced Oct 1. Everything was running smoothly until yesterday. While accelerating I noticed a really loud noise, similar to a diesel truck or a a fake Honda race car with a really bad muffler/exhaust!! I opened the hood and put my ear to different parts and it's coming from the engine. My ex-boyfriend said I need to replace the timing chain at some point. Could this be what is making the loud noise? It makes the noise the second I start the car up and as I accelerate, it gets increasingly louder. Almost like I'm about to take off. When I'm idling, it's a little softer of a noise but still noticeable. What the heck could it be?! Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
665 Posts
If it sounds like it's coming from the engine I bet it's likely your exhaust manifold. If it blew the gasket or cracked it's likely the source of your noise!

An easy way to really diagnose noises is to either use a mechanics stethoscope or take a long 12-18" flat blade screw driver stick the handle to your ear and start probing around for the noise.

Careful of your hair or any dangle clothing getting close to that serpentine belt.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with tom. It could also be the minverter that has cracked. At least I think that's what it's called. Is there any way you can post a sound clip or a short video with sound, so we can check it out?

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Double check that frigging alternator. These damn things use a decoupling pulley and when they go bad, they sound just like a diesel. I know you said it was just replaced on Oct. 1st, but you could have gotten a defective one right out of the box. Especially if you got it from Autozone or Advance. That's the FIRST thing I'd check, now that I've had time to think about what you stated you've had done to the car. Did you have that noise BEFORE the alternator was replaced? If not, then I'd be willing to bet that's the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
One main issue was a break in the exhaust pipe! Oops. Had my brother fix that for me. But the diesel sound was there before the alternator was replaced. It's also like a clicking noise. It's coming from the front of the spark plugs. Those were replaced this summer as well. I can get a sound clip and picture showing where the sound is coming from.

·
Registered
548 Posts
A repetitive fast ticking sound from the front of the engine is normal...those are the fuel injectors firing.

Is the check engine light on?

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Yeah, go ahead and post a sound clip for us when you can. I'm curious to see if it sounds like my 08 did. It had a slight clicking sound and like Chris said, it's normal. My 2013 Chrysler 200 with the 2.4 makes the clicking sound too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts