Dodge Caliber Forum banner

'Dial Tone' Sound when car is off

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Geekette 
#1 ·
Okay, back in here after a long while away (great trip to Iowa and back in the Cali, will update everyone soon...pix are on my facebook profile...)

MY CURRENT CALIBER ISSUE:
When the car is off, key is out, at 3 to 5 minute intervals, I hear what sounds like a phone dialing for a few seconds, then a short click, the two left side meters dip below their zero mark - then silence. A few minutes later, it repeats - infinitely.

I just had the Cali in for scheduled service at my 5-star dealer, told them it also went dead just the day before and I had to jump it. Told the tech about the weird sound.

Went to pick it up, they said it was ready, they said they couldn't find any starter, charger or battery issues. They charged up the battery but as I was leaving, I asked the mechanic (Frank) if he heard the 'sound' and he said 'no'. I said, if you have a few minutes, I'll show you. We drove away from the shop noise and rolled up the windows and right at about 3 minutes, whamo, it did the weird sound/click/meter thing. Frank heard it too, then heard it again. He admitted it stumped him, figured it was some computer not shutting off, or waking up in error over and over again. He said that may have drained the battery if it sat without driving for a few days that way. Since my MAIN ride is a Vino125 Scooter, the Caliber doesn't get driven every day.

I had no other way home, it was Friday night, had to take the car right as they were closing up at 6, he said give him a few days to research it and take it back in. He said not to let it sit for too long until he can get that figured out and fixed.

Tried to find this elsewhere in here before starting a new thread - didn't find it from anyone else. Any clues anyone?

Geekette
:bath:

See less See more
#6 ·
Amazing! Thanks!

I'm on the phone with the service department now, they'll check that and she said Frank also found something - I'll probably take it back in tomorrow. THANKS FOR THE FAST AND HOPEFUL RESPONSE!

I'll be getting my Cali Pix up here this weekend...I'll keep ya'all updated on this Issue too!

Peace!

:smiley_thumbs_up:

#4 ·
You are the man, Brad!!! Where in the world do you find all of that tech stuff?? If I start having problems with mine, I'm just going to PM you, if that would be okay. I've never heard of such a thing. Of course, I am brain damaged. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.