Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've installed a dash cam myself, mounted up by the rear view mirror. You can tuck the cable in the front edge of the headliner, then remove the right A-pillar plastic trim piece and run the cable behind that. There's plenty of room to run the cable behind the glove box, then run the cable through the center console to the cigarette lighter, where you can plug into a USB adapter for switched power. Not hard at all actually.

·
Super Moderator
12,269 Posts
My 'dash'cam is behind the rear view, power tapped from the power outlet. Wiring routed under the headliner and pillar, easy to do.

·
Registered
2010 Dodge Caliber SXT 2.0
1 Posts
I want to hardwire a dash cam to my car. 09 Caliber SXT. It's got the 2.0. How would I go about it?
I’ve been searching all over the net for this same answer. Or instructions at least. Plugging into the cigarette lighter or the outlet is not a hardwired solution. Those turn off when the car is off and hardwired allows the cam to activate when motion is detected. I have an Aukey dash cam and the hardwire kit requires it to be installed at the fuse box, which the only one is under the hood. Having installed an amp and speakers in my past, I’m going to assume the wiring will run similar to that to hide the wire and get under the hood. Hope this helps a little bit.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I hard wired my dashcam to the power leading to the cig lighter. Just pull apart that part of the dash and tap in...make sure to fuse it appropriately.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I wired my cigarette lighter to be on all the time. I only use it for my cell charger.

·
Super Moderator
12,269 Posts
Are you guys daily drivers? For those whose Calibers are parked up some days power draws are not advisable, in fact IOD is recommended in the handbook.

The advised connection for convenience so you don't forget to turn on the dash-cam is either a multi-outlet adapter or the rear supply to the outlet.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Are you guys daily drivers? For those whose Calibers are parked up some days power draws are not advisable, in fact IOD is recommended in the handbook.

The advised connection for convenience so you don't forget to turn on the dash-cam is either a multi-outlet adapter or the rear supply to the outlet.
Yeah, for dashcams I always wire them to ignition on power so they turn on and off with the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts