Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so my transmission overheat light has been coming on alot after driving long distances or giving the car gas on the pedal for too long. You can here it squeak like hell too and the car eventually loses power and I have to pull over to cool down. Pretty sure it's something to do with the rad but having a hard time figuring it out. Debating a manual swap as well but not sure yet. Anyone have a similar issue with a solution? Any help greatly appreciated.. cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes what have u done to defuse this issue cause I’m bout to strap this car I just wish u could switch transmission to the car or can u

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wish I could give you a reply that helps. I just got rid of my 2009 Cali after 10yrs and 160000 kilometers (100000 miles).
The manual clearly states that the transmission will go into limp mode at high temperatures and high speed. This happened to me several times on long trips and in hilly terrain during the summer. The only solution seemed to be a transmission swap at roughly $5000! The car was worth about that at the time. I absolutely loved this car but the CVT was a PITA. I did travel to Arizona and other hot areas but had to be extremely cautious regarding speed and temperature. It got worse as it got older. I will never buy a car with a CVT again and there are quite a few around. Maybe they have improved over time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wish I could give you a reply that helps. I just got rid of my 2009 Cali after 10yrs and 160000 kilometers (100000 miles).
The manual clearly states that the transmission will go into limp mode at high temperatures and high speed. This happened to me several times on long trips and in hilly terrain during the summer. The only solution seemed to be a transmission swap at roughly $5000! The car was worth about that at the time. I absolutely loved this car but the CVT was a PITA. I did travel to Arizona and other hot areas but had to be extremely cautious regarding speed and temperature. It got worse as it got older. I will never buy a car with a CVT again and there are quite a few around. Maybe they have improved over time.
I read an article that stated the CVT transmission has 2 filters, one in the tranny and one in the tranny fluid cooler. The one in the cooler will clog up causing overheating. Hope that helps, you can DIY that one since it is outside of the tranny.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You should be able to change both of the filters for the trans. Remove the bolts and it should be there. I changed both axles on mine and i just added sone cvt trans fix in it and wow it helped a lot. No more shutter or slippage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts