Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New to the forums and hoping for some help.

How many liters or quarts of CVT trans fluid go in if I drop transmission pan and change gasket? I know people usually say put in whatever come out, but had a bit of an issue with transmission oil filler tube pipe and some oil leaking due to broken piece on stick. Now i got new transmission oil filler tube pipe but since some oil came out, wanted to flush it myself and let all old oil drain for a couple of hours. Guy at dealer said 4 quarts fit in transmission pan, but if i let car sit and drain all old trans oil out (oil in transmission parts), then more should fit right? Thanks.

Transmission has 144,000 miles and i am original owner of car. *Knock on wood*

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Hello,

New to the forums and hoping for some help.

How many liters or quarts of CVT trans fluid go in if I drop transmission pan and change gasket? I know people usually say put in whatever come out, but had a bit of an issue with transmission oil filler tube pipe and some oil leaking due to broken piece on stick. Now i got new transmission oil filler tube pipe but since some oil came out, wanted to flush it myself and let all old oil drain for a couple of hours. Guy at dealer said 4 quarts fit in transmission pan, but if i let car sit and drain all old trans oil out (oil in transmission parts), then more should fit right? Thanks.

Transmission has 144,000 miles and i am original owner of car. *Knock on wood*
In our "General Maintenance and Detailing" section your answer is in several threads of discussion with first hand info.

Supposedly, 4qts is all you will get out just by dropping the pan, but members have found it to be closer to 8qts. The torque converter will not drain unless forced in most cases, but I wonder if the CVT is using one that does drain.

You should read this thread by a member that recently did his: http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=38497

There are also YouTube videos available and other threads in that section discussing the CVT fluid change.

·
Registered
314 Posts
best advise I can think of would be to get a transmission dipstick. They cost about $70 or something if I'm thinking of the right one. I will search back through the forum to see if I can find where I was given a link to it. You can use the oil dipstick (cleaned very well) to check the trans fluid, but to get an accurate reading after a fluid change I would prefer to use the real thing.

edit:
http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=38025

That's my thread asking about dipsticks and transmission fluid changes. There are some links posted near the bottom of possibly dipstick sellers, as well as a way to estimate the fluid level with the oil dipstick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for responses. I appreciate it.

I have thought about getting dip stick. 4 quarts sounds about right amount in pan. yeah ive been reading many threads to see what others are doing. I will do cvt flush this weekend and replace gasket. ill read through threads and see what else i can pick up.

Thanks again everyone.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Dave uses his engine dipstick. You just have to clean it real well to avoid contamination. Also, apparently you missed the part where it's closer to 8qts that you need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i did see that it is more than 4 quarts. ill be going to dodge to get more fluid. i will use engine oil dip stick and ill be sure to clean it well before i use it to measure trans fluid.

I found a pdf page that shows for a service fill, it take about 4.5 quarts. If the whole transmission needs fluid (replaced/new transmission) , then its close to 9 quarts. ill ask the dealer when i go buy cvt fluid. Anyone know if engine dip stick and trans dip stick are about the same length? i saw comment about as long as it is in "safe" area, then you are good. I also know reading on stick will be different with the temperature of fluid being hot or cold.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
i did see that it is more than 4 quarts. ill be going to dodge to get more fluid. i will use engine oil dip stick and ill be sure to clean it well before i use it to measure trans fluid.

I found a pdf page that shows for a service fill, it take about 4.5 quarts. If the whole transmission needs fluid (replaced/new transmission) , then its close to 9 quarts. ill ask the dealer when i go buy cvt fluid. Anyone know if engine dip stick and trans dip stick are about the same length? i saw comment about as long as it is in "safe" area, then you are good. I also know reading on stick will be different with the temperature of fluid being hot or cold.
Measure what comes out and put back the same amount. You can't go wrong that way. Rather than asking the dealer; just go by what members with first hand info have said. And using the engine dipstick is for ambient temperature.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Also, NAPA now sells an "official one" at a "reasonable" price.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If it has not come loose and fallen out you can see it
left front of battery tray .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Measure what comes out and put back the same amount. You can't go wrong that way. Rather than asking the dealer; just go by what members with first hand info have said. And using the engine dipstick is for ambient temperature.
Actually you're supposed to take a measurement of the fluid temperature using an OBD2 tool and then you use a dipstick that you can get from the auto parts store for less than twenty or thirty bucks it comes with a chart that shows you exactly what level it should be at the temperature reading you get from the OBD2 tool

1 - 12 of 12 Posts