Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few parallel projects under way: AEM AFR UEGO, RT Clamp and a Scangauge (still in the mail) which will be hooked to the clamp for proper boost reading.

While I'm not ready to publish my photos of the whole project, today I fabricated some wiring harnesses to run them from the engine bay (or thereabout) to the cabin.

That firewall is a bitch to deal with on our car and it's a recurring question: where do I pass my wires?

A few options are available: there's a small grommet under the accelerator pedal, some go through the steering column grommet, others blatantly drill through the firewall.

The best option is through a LARGE grommet that runs from the foot well to the front left (driver-side) fender. From there, you can wired up the fender to the engine bay or down the wheel well to under the car (eg, AFR wiring).

Photos for this have been published before but they were a bit dark. Today was a rather sunny day and perfect for the job and photo session.

Bare in mind that the wiring being done here is for my AFR and RT Clamp hookup. So while you can use that as a guide, passing wires is generic enough for me to publish those right away for everyone's benefit.

General browse-able photo album can be found here.

For some reason I don't have photos of the following so if it's not clear enough, ask questions and I'll edit for clarity.

- Begin by removing front left (driver side) wheel for easier access.
- Remove the two box screws at the bottom rear of the wheel well (under pillar A).
- Remove the top inner fender liner plastic rivet.
- Remove the inside two plastic rivets on the rear (or the car) side.
- Leave everything else there and gently pry the inner fender liner away and over the brake assemblies.
- Open up the hood for more lighting and engine bay access

When done, if you look up the fender, you'll see a large bundle of wired going from inside the engine bay near the battery, to the rear of the car. Above that is a space where the fender gives access to the engine bay. This is where we'll run wires to the engine bay.

After cutting my clamp wires to size (plus extra length for working room), I bundled the wires and taped them all up:

Wires have been color-coded for easier connection:

All the way up to one end: the one I'll pass through the grommet to the cabin:

In this photo, the grommet under pillar A inside the quarter panel. In the photo, I have already pulled the grommet out of the sheet metal, giving access to the cabin, under the dash, in the foot well. The large wire bundle is the one coming from the front of the car through the top of the fender:

I have pierced the grommet and ran the AEM AFR UEGO sensor through the grommet. In this picture, you see the black AFR harness through through and into the cabin:

Zoomed out picture of the AFR wire coming down the quarter panel's grommet, outside the car:

With my clamp harness all taped up, I ran the wires from inside the engine bay, under the hood near the battery, through the inside of the fender. There are openings there where you can pass wires:

Close up picture from under the hood looking to the quarter panel opening:

Adding wire protection to complete my harness: you don't want your wires to be in contact with plies of sheet metal or they will FAIL in time due to rubbing:

Completed clamp harness ready for ECU hookup:

Looking up the fender quarter panel, the clamp harness comes through the engine bay opening and down where it will later be secured:

Excuse the sun glare; Looking up the fender quarter panel, using 8" BLACK zip ties to secure clamp harness along with the stock wiring running there:

On top of this picture, my clamp harness (without wire protection at that place) runing along the stock harness and towards the grommet; also, AFR harness being zip-ties (using 4" BLACK zip ties) down the wheel well (the square thing is the TPMS sensor):

Because my O2 sensor is not welded to my downpipe yet, I've coiled up the sensor harness in the quarter panel for later hookup, using BLACK 8" zip ties and making sure the connector is water-hardened:

Dont forget to put the grommet back in place before you close up the wheel well inner fender liner and bolt the wheel back on!

Inside the cabin, the wires come down from behind the dash, above the foot rest.

Because I'm not yet ready for wiring the instruments yet, I've ran the wires under the carpet for protection.

The rest of the story in another post where i'll talk about AFR, Scangauge and RT Clamp -specific hookup.
You can then replace the inner fender liner, wheel

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi folks!
Just wondering.. is there any way to get the pics from this post? It just has little picture icons where the pics used to be, I guess because it's an old post and the link to the pics is no longer active or whatever.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Hi folks!
Just wondering.. is there any way to get the pics from this post? It just has little picture icons where the pics used to be, I guess because it's an old post and the link to the pics is no longer active or whatever.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Pm mouser and ask him if he still has them.

·
Super Moderator
12,089 Posts
Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
The gallery now links to icloud

https://www.icloud.com/#100235

If you have an AppleID you can check if it's viewable by users.

·
Super Moderator
12,089 Posts
Register for one if you want to make the effort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts