Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am having this issue where when I use the cruise control lever to accelerate from 50-70 mph or in that ballpark my rpms shoot way up like the transmission isn't even engaging. But then when I turn cruise control off and ease into the gas, it feels fine. I have always kind of released the throttle at times when CVTs seem to have trouble shifting and it seems to help the transmission "catch" or engage at a lower rpm. But I'm talking 5krmp and the car is doing no accelerating. It seems to have to do with the electronic throttle response. I found this thread about a Ford freestyle CVT that sounds EXACTLY like my transmission issue. I know it's a different vehicle and I found tons of **** about Caliber CVT failure but nothing specifically like this except the thread titled "CVT cruise control high rpms" which didn't sound as severe. Here is the thread about the similar issue on Ford freestyle, which ended up being the catalytic CONVERTER. I hope to God it's not my transmission I just got this car and it only has 71k on it. I replaced a CVT on a Honda civic once and I refuse to have it done again.
Similar issue Ford freestyle: Ford Freestlye CVT Catalytic Converter

Thanks in advance to my high caliber boys and gals on here.

·
Registered
277 Posts
When was the last time you had the transmission fluid changed, and both filters, replaced?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never. I just got the car 5k miles ago but I know it's overdue. I have this filter and gasket plus dipstick:
I also have a gallon of the mopar cvtf +4. There are two filters? I was going to do it when I do my oil change, but with how severe this problem is, I hope chunks don't come out when I do it. Can you link a diagram or the second filter if you have that info? I read conflicting reports of never change, every 30k, every 70k, and finally the CVT barely lasts over 100k EVER.

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
Can't see MOPAR - it would be a JATCO part

Auto Trans Filter-Premium Replacement ATP B-429

NISSAN OEM RE0F10A/B, JF011E (CVT) Filter Cartridge Dodge Caliber 2007+
31726-1XF00

The regular MOPAR pan

Auto Trans Filter Kit Mopar 05191890AA

Personally I would look at the Oil Cooler too

68025160AA TRANSMISSION AUXILIARY OIL COOLER Used up to 11/01/2009

1 - 6 of 6 Posts