Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through a few forums, but have not seen an answer for my problem yet. My caliber wouldn't start a couple of months ago, I was able to figure out it was the fuel pump and replaced it. A couple of weeks ago it died on me while coming home. just lost power on the road while driving. Turns over but will not start. I have tested one of the coils for spark, I do hear the fuel pump running when I turn the key, and I also ohmed out the coils, and the fuel injectors. I picked up a set of noid lights and tested one of the fuel injectors, but I have to charge the battery as it sat for 2 weeks and I have been cranking it a lot. I did have 2 codes, Po171, and Po113. these may have been when I disconnected the air flow sensor and tried to start it. at any rate, I don't think either of those codes would keep it from running. I also changed the crank shaft sensor, even though I was pretty certain it was not the issue. Please help, I am out of ideas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just finished with the noid light. one of my fuel injector plugs has the release tab broke, I am sure I could get it loose, but I don't think one bad one would completely stop it from starting. So I do here the fuel pump most of the time, but I noticed that I only hear it about every other time I turn the key. is this because it already pressurized and didn't start? not sure, just guessing at this point, but I did pull the fuel line off of the rail and put a rag around it and tried to start. the rag was wet with fuel so I don't think that is it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the car sits for a while it starts but not easily and only for a split second, it immediately dies out again. I looked over the pump again since I recently replaced it and it seems ok, pulled the tube off the fuel injector rail and stuck it in a bucket, gas does come out. don't know how fast it is supposed to come out, but it seems ok

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Sounds as if you have approached your problem with
usual elimination processes , I would imagine you have
tried new spark plugs etc.
There are also cam position sensors as a possibility
but by the sounds of it your going to need a dealers
help.

·
Super Moderator
12,236 Posts
I also changed the crank shaft sensor, even though I was pretty certain it was not the issue. Please help, I am out of ideas.
Sounds like he only swapped one.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
You only have one crank position sensor, Aleks. I THINK. Maybe I'm wrong. There are 2 cam position sensors though, right?

·
Super Moderator
12,236 Posts
Sounds like I got mixed up, sorry. Can't help here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if motor is cranking but not starting then spray starting fluid into vacuum line or intake. if it starts for sec then you know its fuel problem. if not start then you have ignition problem. After you try that Turn you ignition to On Position "right before it starts" and check for battery voltage at Ignition coil plug & injector plug. that will confirm your ASD relay is working correctly

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I got the same advice from a friends mechanic. It will start after spraying in the intake. He told me to find the schraeder valve on the fuel line and confirm that the gas pressure is correct. I used a noid light to confirm that I was getting a signal from the pcm to the injectors, and I had already checked for spark. Anyone know where the valve is to test the fuel pressure and what the correct fuel pressure is supposed to be?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found the fuel pressure, 58 psi +/- 5, but I cannot find where to test it at. I completly removed the air intake, and the filter housing. I followed the lines as far as I could, but did not see the schraeder valve. If anyone knows please help.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If it has one they are usually on the fuel rail.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Good to hear and thanks for reporting back your fix.

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Caliber SXT 2.0
29 Posts
just finished with the noid light. one of my fuel injector plugs has the release tab broke, I am sure I could get it loose, but I don't think one bad one would completely stop it from starting. So I do here the fuel pump most of the time, but I noticed that I only hear it about every other time I turn the key. is this because it already pressurized and didn't start? not sure, just guessing at this point, but I did pull the fuel line off of the rail and put a rag around it and tried to start. the rag was wet with fuel so I don't think that is it.
This sounds like what might be happening for me, I also hear my fuel pump but the car is damned if it would start.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts