Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 Caliber with 90,000 miles. Last week while driving, the idle was unusually high, in the 1200-1500 rpm range.No other symptoms or noises. When she came out from work, the car would crank, but not start.When cranking, there is a slight metal grinding sound, almost like a dry start noise. After reading through the forums, it sounds and acts more like a throttle body issue. Fuel is pressurized to the injectors. I have not pulled the plugs.
Today, she had it towed to a shop, one she used before, and the called to say the timing chain is broken, and there is alredy damage to the heads.
My initial thought, is that had the chainfailed, there would hve been noises, as well as a change in the car's performance. Neither occured, and how lucky would have it been, to have the chain break, after you have parked, and shut the car off?
Has anyone had a chain break? What symptoms were there?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I don't recall of a post on this site indicating a broken timing chain
and many Calibers have in excess of 100,000 miles todate.

·
Registered
110 Posts
high idle is indicative of a vacuum leak. If the chain is actually broke it will crank extra fast (assuming good battery) because of no compression.
I would ask for more details about the diagnosis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for all the help. I am thinking combination of throttle body and battery at this point.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Get it the hell out of that shop. They're using the fact that she's a woman in order to try to rip her off. If YOU have a shop you trust, take it there. But without someone running codes on it first, I won't even venture a suggestion.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
These engines are non-interference engines. Even if the chain were to break (highly unlikely) it wouldn't cause any valve damage to the head. Con artists abound and they really want to take advantage of your friends wallet or bank account. Maybe they have a kid in college or something. Metal sound could be the infamous alternator problem experienced by a lot of members. It could be a multitude of things and some of them are simple and won't cost an arm and a leg to replace. Keep us posted, but run the frigging codes on it first or I won't be responding. You have to start with the simple things first and codes is the easiest and cheapest thing to do first.

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Caliber SXT 2.0
29 Posts
I'm having a similar issue, wondering if there was ever a resolution for this??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts