Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In a further attempt to tame my epic overheating issues, I've done a few more mods to my Caliber.

I am open to your suggestions on other ways to solve my overheating issues. I'll test to see if I've solved my overheating issues on 12 Feb, so get your ideas to me at least a few weeks before then to give me time to consider and implement them.

For those not keeping score, I've already put in a much larger radiator, removed the secondary thermostat (the high temp block thermostat, I turned it into passive restrictor like the factory does on the Caliber SRT4), put in a new primary thermostat and an 18 psi radiator cap (factory is 16 or 17 PSI). In additional to all that, I have now completed four more mods aimed at improving airflow over the radiator.

In addition to these four mods described blow, I have at least three more mods planned before I get out and test to confirm if I've solved my overheating issues. I'll post an update on those 3 more in a week or so.

The idea with the mods below is to force air from the front through the radiator and out the hood. These mods should get more air through the radiator, improving cooling, and at the same time will get more air flowing over the car instead of under the car, reducing lift (hopefully).

I cut a vent in the hood:

63E12219-A5C7-4F3E-B6F8-B311257C237C_1_105_c.jpeg

I made a full engine under body cover (26G sheet metal):

CDE2EBE6-E478-409A-B61D-5A46A6C59977_1_105_c.jpeg

I will work on a full front to back set of under body covers in the future.

I put better seals around the radiator to keep air from flowing around the radiator, I used 3mm ABS for this. You can see the black plastic sheets around the radiator to keep the air from going around the radiator instead of through it:

5611FD1F-0DF4-46D3-ACA9-5A496824C5AA_1_105_c.jpeg

And I put in ducting to force air through the radiator. If you look close, you can see the black plastic box protruding from what is left of the front grill.

139EA840-30C6-4D19-A01E-056C9E22E0C4_1_105_c.jpeg

·
Registered
127 Posts
Have you looked into replacing the fuel injectors?

Did a flush?

Water flowing too fast through a radiator doesn’t give time enough to cool before returning to the engine.

Tried running just water?

Added a surfactant (and defoamer)? "Water Wetter"

Added an oil cooler?

Installed a pusher fan in front of the radiator?

Tried driving around without the hood?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All great ideas!

Have you looked into replacing the fuel injectors?
Done on the first day I got the car, along with every other sensor under the hood.

Did a flush?
Yep, first day. Done about 4 changes now.

Tried running just water?
This is mandatory, I can only run water.

Added a surfactant (and defoamer)? "Water Wetter"
Wish I could, see above about only water allowed.

Added an oil cooler?

Installed a pusher fan in front of the radiator?

Tried driving around without the hood?
Maybe I can look into getting the SRT-4 oil cooler retrofitted onto the car. I'll try the other things as well (I have a spare radiator fan).

Thanks for the suggestions!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts