Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Dodge Caliber SXT 2.0L

I have a leak coming from the rear of the engine on the passenger side. To my knowledge the only thing over there that deals with coolant is the
water pump. Would this mean I have a bad water pump or water pump seal (either issue I would replace both of course)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had the time today to jack the car up and remove the passenger side wheel shield and inspected the pump while it was on, its DEFINETLY the pump. Not too bad of
a leak but certainly leaking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok... replaced the water pump and the car still over heated with 3 gallons of water in it (using water just till I figure this out then I'll replace with coolant).
There is NO dripping under the car and the oil is still dark and not milky like the water is mixing.... kinda clueless, going for new thermostat tomorrow... any other ideas?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Thermostat is next thing to check...if car is warmed up but the upper rad hose is cold, then one of your TWO thermostats isn't opening. Might as well replace them both while you're in there.

Could also be your cooling fan isn't working (turning on AC should cause fans to come on) or your radiator is worn out and can't dissipate heat properly anymore.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fans definitely come on... I'll remove both thermostats tomorrow and do a test run... If it runs great then I'll buy two new thermostats and put them in there... but if it still overheats I know I'm looking at a head gasket =/
TY for the reply

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bah, I ran out there and removed the thermostats put it back together and did a 10 minute FAST drive 60-80mph (we have a LONG road next to us) to keep RPM's up and stayed just below the middle of Hot and Cold. Tomorrow I'll take it on a trip to Tampa (about 45 minutes) and that should be the final test... then two new thermostats (PRAYING TO GOD this is the issue and not a head gasket)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.