Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any cost effective ways to diagnose and recode Caliber computer? Dodge charged me $130 to reset codes for malfunctioning brake light circuit. Thanks for ideas.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Are there any cost effective ways to diagnose and recode Caliber computer? Dodge charged me $130 to reset codes for malfunctioning brake light circuit. Thanks for ideas.
A reset can be accomplished by disconnecting both cables from the battery and holding them together for 5-10 minutes. This drains all residual power from all the electronics and resets them all to factory defaults.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
But remember, if the problem still exists - the code will come right back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Prop1! Went to Dodge one day too early...or joined this forum one day too late. *wry smile*
A reset can be accomplished by disconnecting both cables from the battery and holding them together for 5-10 minutes. This drains all residual power from all the electronics and resets them all to factory defaults.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
diagnostic code check

But remember, if the problem still exists - the code will come right back.
The Dodge tech claimed there must have been a short in my new trailer wiring...and advised not to plug it back in. UHaul installed the wiring and trailer plug on my car, and checked it again for free: no problems. Brake lights are working fine now, after code reset.

Does Autozone do diagnostic checks for all code problems? Service charge?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
The Dodge tech claimed there must have been a short in my new trailer wiring...and advised not to plug it back in. UHaul installed the wiring and trailer plug on my car, and checked it again for free: no problems. Brake lights are working fine now, after code reset.

Does Autozone do diagnostic checks for all code problems? Service charge?
Yes, Autozone will read the DTCs for free. As far as the trailer wiring, don't be surprised if the lights go out again. The only trailer wiring that works without issue is the Mopar one. Any others cause the TIPM to sense the resistance change and shut the circuit off. Relays are required for the others.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dude you can get a code reader for $50 at autozone. It's one of the greatest $50 spent. Or if you have a scangauge you can read and clear codes with that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts