Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, :Hey:

I've been planning on dipping my caliber for a long time, and now i finally had the time to do it.
I wanted to go for the Camo-green but that was out of stock, and will be for some time, so i went for black. It's also a good base for the camo-green, once it's back in stock.
So... Today i did the roof, hood and the front of the cali, both sides and back will be done tomorrow.
During the proces, since it was my first complete car dip, i found some do's and dont's and i wanted to share the complete proces with you all.
I'm open for comments :smileup:
I started the week with cleaning my garage and throwing away A LOT of stuff ;-)

First i gave her a good bath and washed her like I never did before :naughty:
Than i took of the "roofplastic" and found A LOT of dirt under it.
Completely cleaned those parts and the roof and the hood.
Than i started masking off the car. I used some plastic and it worked great for me.

OH... One thing... if you EVER decide tot do this, MAKE SHURE THERE IS NOT A SINGLE FLY AROUND.
After the second coat i found 3 of them stuck in the wet dip... :mad3:

So, here are some pictures i took today BUT... many more to come.
Nice and Clean :smileup:

Dirt

Masked

First coat on the roof and hood

Not the best picture but the final coat.

During the proces i thought it would be better to do the front also. I Have to do both sides of the car seperately because of the lack of space...

So, more work tomorrow, and I will post ne pics than :smileup:
Goodnight for now, I've got some cleanup to do.

Byebye and be safe !

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
You're going to have to notify the DMV of your color change! LOL

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I'm concerned that if you didn't wet sand (400-600 grit) the surface and prime it that the dip may peel off at some point in the near future.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm concerned that if you didn't wet sand (400-600 grit) the surface and prime it that the dip may peel off at some point in the near future.
Well, that's the beauty of Dip. Clean the surface and spray. It sticks to almost any surface. I used it on my motorcycle and its wheels and it's been on there for a year now without any damage or peeling.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Well, that's the beauty of Dip. Clean the surface and spray. It sticks to almost any surface. I used it on my motorcycle and its wheels and it's been on there for a year now without any damage or peeling.
From their web site:

Most items being dip coated do not require priming because the coating is shrinking around the item as it dries. However, in extreme conditions or when adding protective coating to a large metal surface, primer is recommended. Use Plasti Dip Primerhttp://www.plastidip.com/industrial_solutions/Primer or a high quality acrylic autobody-type primer. Do not use Rust-Oleum® primer as it is not compatible.
And typically, before applying primer over clear coat; wet sanding is required.

On its own, Plasti Dip peels off of most surfaces easily; with a coat of Plasti Dip Primer applied underneath, it gains a far stronger, nearly permanent grip.
Plasti Dip Primer

It pays to read up on what you are using.;)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The purpose of Plastidip typically isn't a permanent change.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly. I'm not planning on keeping it on forever, because i know it wont last that long. I've been using plasti dip for a while on a lot of things, so i know how to work with it and just wanted to do my car with it. And i'm posting this just to show you all, just for fun. :D

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Exactly. I'm not planning on keeping it on forever, because i know it wont last that long. I've been using plasti dip for a while on a lot of things, so i know how to work with it and just wanted to do my car with it. And i'm posting this just to show you all, just for fun. :D
That's not what I got out of this thread. But now anybody that wants it to be permanent knows what they have to do to make it permanent.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Het dak en de motorkap vind ik geweldig. De voorbumper vind ik wat minder, maar ieder zijn smaak toch?

(The roof and hood are great. Don't like the frontbumper as much, but it's al about taste)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it's done...
Almost that is. i had a little satback at the right rear fender and a little bit of the bumper there so i'll have to fix that tomorrow but overall it looks pretty good i think.

·
Super Moderator
12,112 Posts
You've given me an idea for a cheap makeover for all my nicks on the bumpers.
Do you think it will stand up to bump parkers ?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
That's not what I got out of this thread. But now anybody that wants it to be permanent knows what they have to do to make it permanent.
Yup! I didn't even know they have a primer for Plastidip, so thanks for sharing!

Well, it's done...
Almost that is. i had a little satback at the right rear fender and a little bit of the bumper there so i'll have to fix that tomorrow but overall it looks pretty good i think.

Looks great!

To fix those sections are you going to peel it off and respray or what?

With enough coats, it would probably be pretty good.

I did my pinch seams on the sides of my car just to test it out, and because I didn't have time to do a proper sand down and repaint before winter, but was sick of how crappy they look. Going to see how they look in the spring. I'm also debating spraying it on the sections between my side windows where the SXT Sport, R/T & SRT models had the black tape.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, as UN4GTBL already said, it depends on how many coats you put on and ofcourse how hard you bump :)

Looks great!

To fix those sections are you going to peel it off and respray or what?
Thanks,
Well i tried fixing it locally, i didn't want to peel off the rear bumper an side panel, so i cut the bad part out, smooth the edges and filled it up again.
It worked out pretty good, but you'll see it if you know where to look for it.

Oh, and here a final picture

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a lot of fun on this "project" and learned a lot from it.
one thing for sure is that i'm nog going to mask everything off, it's much easier to peel the dip off afterwards than messing around with plastic and tape.

Also a nice thing about the dip is, if there are spots where there is not a completely full cover of color, you can just spray over that part and done... you'll never see the extra sprayed parts.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Nice work!! :smileup:

·
Registered
197 Posts
How many cans did it take to cover the whole car?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts